Is an underwater camera a must??

Is an underwater camera a must? I just bought a new camera and dont want to have to buy another one and the water proof case for mine is around 200.00. Yikes. I am wondering is it a must? We dont snorkel. I guess I am wondering if most of you travel to the islands with a water camera and what your thoughts are??

If you're not snorkeling what do you need an underwater camera for? It doesn't seem that rainy there. We used single use underwater film cameras for snorkeling and they work fine if you're not looking for professional quality, cost about $10 each + developing. I think we got them at Wal-mart.

It certainly doesn't sound like it's necessary for you - if you're not snorkeling, and don't need to take snapshots of the family while splashing in the sea. Sure, a waterproof camera is useful in the rain - my last compact camera I bought a Sport Pack waterproof shell for it - it allowed it to be used in the rain or down to 10 feet. If you really felt you needed some protection from water, consider picking up a cheap waterproof case or bag for your camera - you can usually find the waterproof bags like Aquapac for under $30 - they can protect the camera underwater to 10 feet or so, and you can press the buttons and shoot right through the bag (they have a superclear front section for the lens to see through). Then you can keep your $200 camera, buy a cheap Aquapac, and not fear if it's raining or you feel like playing in the waves at the beach!

Is an underwater camera a must?...

Only if you plan on going underwater or otherwise taking pictures in a way that your camera will get wet. I've routinely taken my camera out of its case to beaches or snorkeling excursions when I'm out of the water. I've also carried two cameras, one in its case for underwater and one not - just for convenience.

Just don't do what I did and dive in without taking your camera out of your pocket:eek: Anyone want to buy a formerly nice Canon SD800 whose current best use is a paperweight?:(

Archived