Summit Ugly ??????

Tide Pride

If the exterior vision of the ship turns you off you're missing the whole point of cruisn' which is to have a stress free vacation and a good time. We have decided on a number of cruises for different reasons, but never what the ship looks like.

(written by "The Bobster")

And if you don't care about the exterior of the ship then maybe you just don't have the love of ships that some of us have. You cruise for your reasons and I'll cruise for mine. Thank you very much.

I think I've missed something here. I was mowing the lawn...

Of course what goes on inside the hull is very important, but Celeb's outside lines aren't likely to appeal to ship nautical or car craft gear heads who read Road & Track (even if in the supermarket) to see the great lines in cars. Ships aren't that different... in some ways. It seens that Celebs designer have embraced hard angular lines, when even traditional designer sought a "swept" line for practical as well as aesthetic reasons.

Granted tiered balcony decks make for more balconys (with worse views), but I wonder how well these designs would fare in extreme conditions. Granted, naval architechs convince that these decks are "above" sea conditions unless the ship is doomed otherwise. But still...

Although I'd been overnight on ships a few times as a youth in the 60's and 70's, my "contemporary" cruise history began on Ocean Princess in 2001. I still think the bullet shape of Princess Sun Class (with non-tiered verandas) is terrific, as are a lot of RC's designs.

That first cruise makes a big impression.

P.S. QM II is a little more interesting overall than the Celeb's M class (which is the same size visually, parked on the same pier. We tend not to percieve width) the Queen Mary II also lacks the appeal of older ships as well as younger due to the height/tiered decks thing...

Celeb's outside lines aren't likely to appeal to ship nautical or car craft gear heads who read Road & Track (even if in the supermarket) to see the great lines in cars.

Now that was funny! :D

When I am at the Mystic Seaport I thumb through pictures of past ocean liners, especially those of the Italian line, just to look at the lines and asthetics of the ships!

I've always thought looking at the aft of the M class ships, that they were ugly. Square and boxy looking That being said, my previous Summit cruise was my best of 15. The ship is beautiful from any other angle except the aft. Just my opinion

While we are relatively new cruisers, or at least less frequently, we have tried four lines so far and all have been ok. We were on the Summit in Sept on the ill fated limping cruise where we lost about 14 or so hours of port time and got to Hubbard Glacier at dinner time on formal night. We have also been on the Pride, Rhapsody, Statendam, and American Hawaii.

The Statendam in my opinion, was the best looking ship inside and out that we have been on. The decor was very nice and elegant and the outside had lot of accessibility for enjoying Alaska.

The Summit was kind of blah inside with no focal points to gaze at and enjoy. I guess their centerpiece is the stairway? Not much, as compared to most ships today. The outside space was adequate once you figured out how to get where for taking pictures or enjoying views from the outside. The Pride was nicely decorated and a surprise to us, not as loud and gaudy as expected. Very nice layout except for smoking lounges outside the resturant.

Archived