Handicap Accessible Rooms

maccruiser22

So we booked a European cruise on Emerald Princess with a travel agent who says there are hardly any cabins left. The agent books us a mini-suite only to tell us after that it is a Handicap Accessible Room. What is the difference between these two types of mini suites. Is this an issue or should it be fine.

Thanks

So we booked a European cruise on Emerald Princess with a travel agent who says there are hardly any cabins left. The agent books us a mini-suite only to tell us after that it is a Handicap Accessible Room. What is the difference between these two types of mini suites. Is this an issue or should it be fine.

Thanks

Unless this cruise is last minute, your travel agent needs to be replaced ASAP. Accessible cabins are few onboard Princess ships and a good TA would never book someone in one that doesn't need the extra facilities.

What you will find is a larger stateroom, but roll in shower only, no tub. Grab bars by the toilet for stability, and ramps to the balcony to roll out. Also a larger door for access to the stateroom, large enough to allow a wheel chair or scooter to pass through. Accessible rooms are set up for wheelchair access and so they design them for those that have problems walking.

From reading the OP's other posts it looks like they just booked a cruise that is in August. While I wish Princess would not book accessible cabins to people who don't need them, I don't expect them to sail with empty cabins either. It almost sounds like Princess was holding this cabin open if it was the only one left in that category. I do have to say that I found accessible cabins open for booking even 90+ days before our cruise - I was surprised that Princess would make them available to anyone.

If you're booked in an accessible cabin but have no mobility challenges, and at the last minute someone needs an accessible cabin, you will be moved. A good TA would never book an accessible cabin to someone who didn't "need" it.

Thanks for the info, turns out the TA has changed it.

Thats wonderful news. I am glad your TA realized how difficult those accessible staterooms are. I will give her/him the benefit of the doubt about not knowing what they were booking for you.

Enjoy your cruise.

If you're booked in an accessible cabin but have no mobility challenges, and at the last minute someone needs an accessible cabin, you will be moved. A good TA would never book an accessible cabin to someone who didn't "need" it.

We just came back from a cruise and both cabins that we booked as " guarantee" ended up being "accessible cabins" - so sometimes there is no control what you get even if one does not need such a cabin.

I even wrote email to the " special needs dept" offering to move to a "regular" cabin and they did not need the cabins. If they are empty for whatever reason - they will fill them.

We got our assignment of cabins very late ( week before the sailing).

Wes

Found out the TA may not be able to make a switch as we were one of the last cabins booked for this cruise and since there were no requests for the accessible cabin, we ended up with it. We might get a regular cabin but if not should we try to change, will it still be worth it?

Archived