Question for Mr. Barbados or anyone

jim & Robin

Need help with what to do in Barbados. We are cruising Carnival and will be in Barbados on November 7 from 12 noon to 10 PM. We are considering touring on our own by taxi instead of a ship tour. Anyone have any tips on where to go or what to see. Also we are looking for a nice local place to eat close to the pier. Not real fancy or expensive but with good (local) and reasonably priced. Thanks in advance for your help.

Jim

Need help with what to do in Barbados. We are cruising Carnival and will be in Barbados on November 7 from 12 noon to 10 PM. We are considering touring on our own by taxi instead of a ship tour. Anyone have any tips on where to go or what to see. Also we are looking for a nice local place to eat close to the pier. Not real fancy or expensive but with good (local) and reasonably priced. Thanks in advance for your help.

Jim

------------------------------------

Jim, I encourage you to take an independent taxi tour, just as you suggested.

There is so much that one can see of the island in eight hours.

As you’ll be on the island on a Sunday, we have two wonderful buffets, one at the Atlantis Hotel in Bathsheba, and the other at the Crane Hotel in St. Philip.

Although these two are quite far from the dock, you’ll get to see the island and enjoy a wonderful lunch. The Atlantis is the less expensive of the two and has a wonderful Sunday brunch. The Crane costs more and the establishment and view is world-renowned.

I would have a hearty breakfast on the ship and head directly to the East Coast for lunch. After lunch there are many choices depending on your tastes.

One is to see St. Johns Parish Church (worth it!) and/or Andromeda Gardens. If you chose to dine at the Atlantis you’ll be close.

Like wildlife? Head north and then East to the Barbados Wildlife Reserve. Should be about 3-4PM by then and the Green Monkeys will be out.

St. Nicholas Abby is close the Reserve, you could fit that in, too.

I’d then head back down to the B-town area and have your driver drop you off at The Boatyard. Enjoy yourself on the beach for a couple of hours. They offer food, too, but you are only about 10 minutes from the ship, so you could return and have dinner, if you choose.

There are “reverse” options like Harrison’s Caves and Gun Hill, but you’d miss the best of the island – the East Coast.

Let me know how it sounds and we can refine it to your likes.

Whatever you choose to do, best wishes for a wonderful time on the island! :)

MrBarbados

We are also looking to see Barbados the best way and not sure what that would be? Going with Glory tours or just hopping into a taxi?. We are a party of 8 (4 adults and 4 boys 10- 14) would like to see Harrison Cave and swim snorkel with turtles and shipwreck or what do you suggest to do/see. Need some guidance! Thanks so much

MrBarbados

We are also looking to see Barbados the best way and not sure what that would be? Going with Glory tours or just hopping into a taxi?. We are a party of 8 (4 adults and 4 boys 10- 14) would like to see Harrison Cave and swim snorkel with turtles and shipwreck or what do you suggest to do/see. Need some guidance! Thanks so much

-------------------------------------------

I’m far from a tour expert, but the operative words here are ‘Harrison’s Caves' ,‘four boys 10-14’ and ‘swim-with-the-turtles’.

Not impossible to do with a taxi tour, but since you added ‘swim-with-the-turtles’, it would be a challenge.

I think one of the tours would be perfect for your needs. I believe Glory does encompass both the caves and the turtles. A good choice.

Please find the Glory Tours website here.

If you were just looking for a land adventure/explore, I’d say stick with the taxi.

Please feel free to ask should you have more questions.

Again, my best wishes for a wonderful time on the island (and I hope the youngsters enjoy it, too!) :)

Hi-

We will be in Barbados in January for a 7 hour stop on our cruise ship. we are not sure what to do we have a 3 1/2 year old girl and i really want to see the sights then also get to a beach for a little while. any ideas? thanks

Mr. Barbados,

Thanks for the suggestions, they add a new insight to what we were planning on doing. We were considering skipping dinner on the ship that night but the way you suggested we could still do it and see much of the island also. As for the buffets, could you give us an idea of the price range for each and also what we should expect to pay for the taxi tour. Also, do we keep the same taxi for the whole tour or take a different one each time we stop? Sorry for so many questions, but we have never taken our own tour before, always the ship's. There will be 5 adults in our party. Thanks again.

Jim

The last time we had Sunday brunch at the Atlantis, it was US$17.50/pp. May be a little more now.

The head chef (and the owner, too!), Mr. Maxwell does a bang-up job, and has for years and years.

You’ll find pumpkin fritters, spinach cake, pickled breadfruit, fried flying fish, roast chicken, pepper-pot stew, fried okra and eggplant (and maybe more, but I can’t remember) in the buffet. Desert varies, but Enid’s coconut pie is the best.

The Crane Sunday buffet is about twice the price of Atlantis. I wouldn’t say it’s any better, but you’ll find a few more offerings in the buffet and they usually include a fish dish (other than the ubiquitous flying fish). They also have entertainment up until about 2-3pm.

A taxi to the Atlantis in Tent Bay will run you about US$20 for up to four in the cab. To accommodate your party of five, vans are available. It should cost about US$30 one way for the whole van. A van to the Crane for five should cost about US$20.

Your driver will wait for you. The last time I checked, the cab fare was US$22/hr for up to four in the taxi.

With multiple people splitting the taxi fare, you should be able to have a great lunch and see a good part of the island for less that the price of a ships’ tour.

Questions?

For lvstocruise.........

Hi-

We will be in Barbados in January for a 7 hour stop on our cruise ship. we are not sure what to do we have a 3 1/2 year old girl and i really want to see the sights then also get to a beach for a little while. any ideas? Thanks

---------------------------------

Oh, boy. It’s been a few years since I’ve had a 3-1/2 year old girl! I can remember that it was difficult finding something that would entertain her, and us, too. We finally decided to just make her as comfortable as possible and to do what we wanted to do.

That being said, I’ll just bet you would all love the Wildlife Reserve. The Green Monkeys come out after 2 to 3 in the afternoon, but there are other critters that are always out.

greenmonkey.JPG

It’s about a US$15-18 taxi ride there (for up to four in the cab) from the dock.

On the way there, or on the way back, you might squeeze-in Harrison’s cave.

harrisons.jpg

I’d then have your driver drop you off at The Boatyard (10 minutes from the ship). Nice beach, lots to do and see. Amenities; and spend a few hours. It’s about a US$6 taxi ride back to the ship when you’re ready to return.

boatyard2.jpg

What do you think?

Mr. B. you are so great. The pictures you send are the best. I think we are going to see the green monkeys and then what do you think of the Malibu Rum tour and Brandon's Beach. Is it a good beach? Our boat has an excursion there so we felt they will get us there and give us drinks for $63.00 for the three of us. we felt this would be the easiest since we are all beach lovers and my husband loves rum!!!! It is a 3-4 hour excursion so we can go to see the monkeys after the beach. thank you again.

lvstocruise....just noticing how many cruises you go on.....do you take the 3 year old each time? Does she like it? I am going 11/18 with my 3 year old son and keeping my fingers crossed that he loves it.

Any pointers on how to get great deals on cruises and go on so many???

Enjoy!

DonnaKSMJ-

Hi my three 1/2 year old loves to cruise. Her first one was last January and she was a little under three and she did great. she loves the kids center on the boat and never wants to come out!!!! She is a beachgoer and a very easy kid so going all over is easy for us. Also it is easy only having one child. I am not sure how many you said you have but one is really simple. Marissa is also a very easy little girl. She likes to be with other kids and play. We go on so many cruise since last January's because it is the easiest way to travel with her. I just stopped working last January full time so that is why we travel so much now. My husband gets 3 weeks vacation a year so we do a 10 day one in the winter a 7 day in the spring and a 5 day one in the fall. I travel pretty cheap because i get inside rooms alot of the times. except for the caribben 10 day we need a window for that one. we have a balcony and never used it. so you see i save on the room but spend onboard and for excursions. i work now part time so i save all of my money for travel. i hope this helps answer all of your questions. let me know if you have anymore. bye

felicia

hi

That sounds encouraging! I do have a total of 4 kids, but the others are 10,14 & 17.

I got them their own cabin(inside) right across the hall from our balcony room.

We are doing the Dawn too, hopefully they all like the kids programs.

Leaving from NY is just so convenient.

Were the ports the same in Jan? St Thomas, Antiqua, Barbados. St Maartan and Tortola.

Any suggestions on what to do with the little guy while on the islands?

Thanks

Donna

Donna-

The ports are all the same

st. thomas, antigua, barbados, st. maartin, tortola.

we are picking alot of shore excursions this time around. one a day.

it just seems easier. last year by the time we paid the taxi, paid the fee to the beach, paid for chairs, etc. it was the same price as the excursion. so we felt lets just pick one excursion for each day and go. last year we did it all on our own. it worked well but this year i want to just get to a beach and lay out. we are really not into sightseeing we just love to see all the beauty of the beaches and lay out and swim. if you have any questions about the beaches let me know. we did this cruise last year except this year they added tortola and barbados and took out san juan and dominica. so let me know when is your cruise planned for?

We're planning to have lunch at the Waterfront Cafe but we'd like to take a taxi for a short tour around the island in the morning. We're not interested in going to the beach. We love seeing the scenery on the islands. Any suggestions?

We are going 11/21-11/28...

Did you go to Coki beach? That's where I think I want to go...I'm trying to hook up with Godfrey Tours.

Antiqua, I think we are going to Turners Beach with Lawrence of Antiqua tours.

Barbados..not sure...Caves? Boatyard?

St Maartan...Little Divi Beach sounds nice?

Tortola...not there that long....Any suggestions?

What do you think? Any that you think I should change.

This is getting overwhelming all this planning...my family thinks I am nuts!

This is what we are planning so far:

St. Thomas- For this trip we are taking the ships excursion to St. John's Beach Escape-Trunk Bay this i heard is the most beautiful beaches of them all. A must see!!! Last year we went to Meghan's Bay, it was beautiful.

Antigua- Last time we toured the dockyard, devils bridge, drove around with Lawrence of Antigua. This time we want to go to a really nice beach and just hang out. We are thinking of going to Turners for the day.

Barbados- We have no clue we have never been here. We want to book an excursion with the cruise line but are not sure which one. I was told to go to Crane's beach but it is not a swimming beach. not sure how good this will be with a 3 yr old.

St. Martin- Last year we went to Orient Beach for 5 hours and then shopping for jewelry in town. It was great the beach was not crowded (only a few nudes) marissa was too little to notice. This year we are booking a combo tour through the cruise line. it is a tour in the morning of the dutch and french side and then the tour goes to Orient beach for the afternoon and it includes a lunch.

Torola- We are definately going on the excursion called Virgin Gorda Highlights. It is an excursion to The Baths. They are world famous. Look them up on line they are huge rocks in the water and it is supposed to be the best place on earth to go. So we are going!!!!

Anyway the plans for st thomas, st. martin, and tortola are definate. We are booking those excursion. Still not sure what to do in Antigua and Barbados. It you have any good ideas let me know. I am researching all the time and my husband thinks i am nuts too!!!! bye for now.

Gypsygirl,

You mentioned the Water Front Cafe in your post. Could you tell us a little more about it? We are looking for a nice place to eat that is reasonably priced. I presume from your post that you have been there before or know something about it.

Thanks,

Jim

It is a must, flying fish and king fish, served banjan.

Last time I whent to Barbados is so far away in time but not in my memory.

Returning this nov 30,04 and it is their national birthday, so there will be a lot

of action on the island that day.

I will go this year with the catamaran to see turtles with champagne and luch and then will rent a mini moke half a day to drive my wife (her first visit) different nice beaches.

Best to all

Francois

Hi-

I was away so thats why i did not respond so quick. glory tours looks good. we are looking just to go to a beach and hang out and maybe drive around to the caves but that is about it. most of her tours look like they go to a few places.

so far this is what we have planned:

st thomas: trunk bay on st. johns

antigua: tour with lawrence of antigua to rainforest and day at turners beach

barbados: still researching!!!

st. martin: tour of both sides of island and orient beach in afternoon

torola: virgin gorda to the baths

so we have decided on everything except for barbados. help!!!

I got in touch with Boyce tours and they told me they would bring me to the caves, cruise down the east coast and then go to the Holetown Beach....9:30 to 2:30 for $50 a person 3 yr old free!

I really want to do the swimmimg with the turltles, I think my all my kids will enjoy that, so we are going with Glory Tours.

I dealt with Shawn Thorpe he's really nice. email him at tours@boycestours.com.

bye

Archived