Review of Western Med on Norwegian Gem June 15, 2008

We were on the June 8th cruise and we didn't bring any formal wear-- although we usually enjoy the dress up nights, we didn't want to carry the extra luggage. And, honestly, we didn't miss it at all. There was so much going on for this cruise that we didn't really feel we had the time to concentrate on getting all dolled up. And we didn't feel out of place at all, on our cruise only a small percentage dressed in formal wear on the optional dress up night.

Thanks, good to know as we were figuring we would be so tired at the end of the day, we'd probably just drag ourselves into dinner and then bed as all the tours seem to leave very early in the a.m.!! My husband is wondering where the "vacation" is fitting into all this!!

Elaine

Hi smoochie

After the funicular ride, we found Capri to be very relaxing and there were great views from the Piazzetta. Oh I almost forgot, you have a choice of exploring on your own or you could take a tour of the gardens with the tour guide. We just strolled around and had gelato. While at the Piazzetta, the rock singer 'Rod Stewart' walked passed us and then several people ran after him, I guess they wanted to get a picture with him or anautograph.

Thanks - wow Rod Stewart - cool!!! After all your details I think I will probably book this trip. Thanks again for the info!!

We are on deck 10 so that is good to know that there will be laundry facilities on our floor, although sometimes I just wash a few things out in the sink and then use that laundry special if it is a good price. On our last NCL cruise it was something like $18 for the bag if I remember correctly. My husband is a good stuffer and seems to be able to fit many items in that bag so it has worked well for us. I wish they would offer it a little earlier in the cruise though as it always seems closer to the end, I guess they feel you should take your clothes home clean!!

Elaine

If you need to use the laundry room, it is located next to stateroom 10081. They were offering the special all you can stuff laundry bag on Thursday at a cost of $20.00.

service charges

what about those service charges nobody told us about the $10 per person per day service charges

we were a concierge client also and had to tip the butler, concierge and pool attendant

just got off the gem and we were unprepared for all the tipping needed and this is our 10th cruise

I was on this same cruise... can't think of anywhere we stopped that didn't have gelato, incl Barcelona. Only thing that was a bummer about our trip was the flights... LOOOOOOOONG. Other than that, we had a blast. Very tiring, but a good tired. Have fun!

Yes, the flights were way too loooong! I loved that picture of us eating gellato in Florence. Keep in touch.

Jay and Pam

What is the earliest time they will allow guests to debark off the Gem? I'm wanting to try to catch a 10AM flight out of Barcelona because it is so much cheaper than getting the next flight out at 1130. Would this be possible? I read that the boat docks at 530 AM.

service charges

what about those service charges nobody told us about the $10 per person per day service charges

we were a concierge client also and had to tip the butler, concierge and pool attendant

just got off the gem and we were unprepared for all the tipping needed and this is our 10th cruise

Didn't you have to tip on the other 9 cruises? Besides, your contract with the cruise ship specifically outlines the service charges,

What is the earliest time they will allow guests to debark off the Gem? I'm wanting to try to catch a 10AM flight out of Barcelona because it is so much cheaper than getting the next flight out at 1130. Would this be possible? I read that the boat docks at 530 AM.

If you carry your bags off the ship, you can leave at 5:30. There is no customs inspection to get off the ship. We had the ships crew take our bags and we were the first group off at 6:15. We got our luggage, took a cab to the airport, and were there before 7AM. Just make sure you take the luggage tags for the first group off, and you will be fine.

• 2 weeks later...
Traveling Mom,

thanks for the info, do you remember how much the private tours were in Rome, that sounds like the way to go

Thanks

We used romeinlimo and they were just great. The price for 3 of us for the day was 450 Euros not including tip. For the Vatican, we requested Julia as our tour guide and she was a wealth of information. We were so glad we decided to book a guide. We paid her 130 Euros for her services.

If you need to use the laundry room, it is located next to stateroom 10081.

THANKS for this info...as I checked and it seems to be right across from where my DH booked our next room. Any thoughts on how loud this may be or if it might interfere with enjoyment of the cruise?? :confused:

THANKS for this info...as I checked and it seems to be right across from where my DH booked our next room. Any thoughts on how loud this may be or if it might interfere with enjoyment of the cruise?? :confused:

Not sure about this ship, but we had one across from us on another ship and other than seeing more people in that area with clothing in their hands, we didn't really hear anything from inside the cabin.

Elaine

Not sure about this ship, but we had one across from us on another ship and other than seeing more people in that area with clothing in their hands, we didn't really hear anything from inside the cabin.

Elaine

Great! Maybe I can just count my blessings then and hit the laundry whenever I need to. (Traveling light this time!)

As IamAlyce said, you really couldn't hear anything when your're in your cabin and we didn't notice any noise issues being adjacent to the laundry room. It was actually quite convenient:) . I could just pop in to see if the machines were free instead of having to make a long trek only to find that the machines were in use.

Archived