Prince Rupert

mommacl

I love Prince Rupert! It is refreshing to have a port without diamond shops around every corner!

We too went shopping in Cow Bay (take a left as you disembark). They have an awesome shop with all kinds of goods made by local artisans.

We visited the Sunken Gardens, saw a ton of eagles, walked around town. We went to the firefighter museum and the Natural History Museum.

Their mayor is a hoot! He was standing outside their city hall, welcoming people (yelling at them as they walked past :-)). He would ask if anyone needed a restroom...Come on in!! Use ours!

My SIL and BIL and nephew went on a whale watching tour, but didn't see any whales:( . The rest of us just did the town on our own.

I hope I don't get flamed for this by fellow Canadians, but quite frankly, most small towns in Canada are pretty boring on the surface. Yeah, we've got great scenery and you might get lucky and see some wildlife, but generally, you're not going to find anything really exciting going on. However, in my travels around the world, the little towns without much going on are where I've had the best times because people will actually talk to you. I spent an 30 minutes once talking to two post office employees in a little post office on the north shore of Oahu and had a great time.

If you'll notice, the people who had a good time in Prince Rupert went beyond the surface and poked around. The poster who suggests popping into a few places, going into the little museums and such is right. Once you get past the scenery, all you have in these little places is people, so take some time to get to know them and enjoy the opportunity to slow down.

Viv

I thought these were both excellent postings. If given the chance to go back to Prince Rupert again, this is exactly what I want us to do, not the horrible excursion we did that took up all of our time while there. I am glad to read postings like these and know that the people who actually live there are nice and friendly. It really makes me believe the people who ran the excursion we were on were not from Prince Rupert. A co-worker, after hearing about the horrible people who ran the excursion almost had me talked into the fact that Canadians hated Americans and that is why we had such treatment. Until I remembered that I had enjoyed meeting every Canadian I had met because they seemed very calm open minded respectful people.

Interesting. I was there in 1974 and there was nothing there. Do you think that maybe the town site has shifted a bit and I just bypassed the whole place because of where we docked? If so, I'm very sorry for slighting Skagway. I did like it as a ghost town, though. Viv

Many of the large buildings which are still in use today, that were built in 1898 and 1899, such as the attached, are still utilized today. We have been in them within the past two years or so. We even strolled past the house which DH lived in. He was still able to identify many of the homes and their previous owners.

I guess you didn't actually see the larger "downtown" area for one reason or another. It truly is worth another trip sometime down the road.:)

It would be interesting to know exactly where you did dock, and which Ghost Town you actually viewed. The railroad has been there since the goldrush days; this you should not have missed - along with the rail station.

Mysterious! Did you take pictures?? I have some from an album, but do not know how to transfer them. Maybe I'll figure it out.

We still love Prince Rupert!:) :)

102409290_McCabeBldg1899.jpg.8ba5c03aa77d91001f6df931c2e8906d.jpg

1754878133_KlondikeTrdgCoHotel1898.jpg.a6ef068387baa2b2d726dc91b7b515a8.jpg

199432695_ArcticHall1899.jpg.7d6b0e4215ccc5fc22e84c97463312be.jpg

Archived