Wine

mommacl

Sometimes I have to "step away from the boards" when I get overwhelmed by the holier than thou posts.

I only wish we all could be as wonderful and intelligent about all things in life as some here seem to think they are, and please, I am not just referring to this one thread.

There now. I feel better now... sigh...

I feel the need to post my 2 cents worth (or should I say $15 worth?). We feel that if you are bringing wine on board to enjoy in your room or anywhere other than the bars or restaurants, then it really shouldn't be the cruiseline's business - unless you're the rowdy troublemaking drunk type of course. If you take your bottle to the restaurant, then yes, someone else will open and pour for you - the "corking fee" is justified. We have been on Disney a couple of times and it astounds me as to the opposite reaction we have had from them. Though their "official" policy does state no alcohol should be brought on board, they do not actually mind if you bring wine, beer, etc. on board with you - we have done it and never hid the fact. I've never heard of anything being confiscated either. And when we purchased alcohol at the ports, we simply carried it onboard and took it to our room, no big deal. (And please don't tell me that the alcohol sales is what allows NCL and others to be so much less expensive than Disney, because Disney sells its fair share of alchohol too.) I know that cruise lines make money off of the alcohol sales onboard, but I dare say that they probably wouldn't lose much regarding sales if they allowed folks to bring it onboard, I doubt very many would bother. Many if not most, will continue to purchase once they are on the ship no matter what - especially the mixed drinks, ourselves included. I also don't like the fact that NCL doesn't have information readily available to you before you cruise regarding alcohol offerings, prices, packages, etc. so that you can "budget" before you board the ship. And I will say that we are tight with our penny when we have to be - it's all about choices, and that's one of the ways that helps us afford to travel and cruise as often as we do. And if I can save a few bucks on our wine, then that will mean the money can be spent elsewhere such as for excursions with our kids. I don't think that means we're cheap, have some unhealthy obsession, nor in need of AA!

NCL offers a great selection of wines at very reasonable prices that are available through room service. It doesn't seem worth any aspect of the hassle of trying to sneak it onboard.

The point is that you don't have to sneak it onboard! You can carry it on and pay the consumption fee when boarding or you can check it and usually get the notice to go to "the room" to claim your luggage, show what the "suscipious" items are, and pay the consumption fee then.

Unlike hard liquor, wine is allowed to be brought onboard. There is no need to sneak wine onto the ship! Please, can we separate the two issues? Wine = Yes, with consumption fee of $15/bottle; hard liquor = No (but I know some people do sneak it, or at least try to sneak it, onboard anyway).

beachchick

When I take wine on board it is not in a box and not a wine being offered by the ship. As mentioned previously there are many wineries in this country that make small batches of incredible wines (e.g. Phillip Togni) that retail here in Florida from $50 - $100.

I know that ships offer a substantial wine list, just not what "I" want. We don't normally drink a $100 bottle of wine , but we do enjoy spoiling ourselves when cruising by bringing the wines of our choice. Our norm is to bring a different botle for each evening of the cruise and we certainly enjoy the right to do so on NCL.

• 2 weeks later...

For those of you that are curious, we just returned from sailing on the Majesty and the 5 of us that had wine in our suitcases were called to the "Naughty Room" to pick up our luggage and pay the $15 corking fee. Once you pay, they turn over the wine and your luggage. If you choose not to pay they confisgate the wine and return it to you at the end of the trip or if you need to get it during the trip you request it while in the dining room. Once the bottle is opened you can take it back to your cabin or they will hold it in the dining room refrigerator for you for the next night.

NCL's policy is not represented by all cruise lines. Carnival actually states that cruisers are allowed to bring bottles of wine (2) on board. If you take it to the restaurant - you will pay a corkage fee. In your own room - no problem. FYI

Thanks to all cruisers who posted their experiences. This is my first NCL cruise, and I appreciate the heads up. :)

My finer wine comes in a 5 liter box with a very nice spigot that pops out thru the side. One has a push button and the other is a twist. My cheaper bottles have a twist top. Love that Ripple and T-Bird, but Night Train Black label is the best. No need for a cork screw in my cabin. And come to think of it, if you need a cork screw, they always have a few in the dinning rooms (at $15 a screw):D

Coasty - did you bring a box of wine onboard? I have been searching and asking about the corkage fee (I know there isnt really a 'corkage' fee) for a box, due to its size, but I get answers about what others have heard. I dont think that I have received an answer from someone who has paid one. I have heard $15 and I have heard some will charge $60. That sure is a big difference.

barbpatter:

On our last cruise I had 3 boxes in our checked luggage (we call it the wine and scuba crate) and was not called to the naughty room. I had two 1.5 liter bottles in my carry on and got charged $15. We took one bottle to Cagneys and drank most of the rest in our balcony.

I have no objection to paying the corkage fee of any wine I take to their restaurants. However, if I am drinking in my cabin there is no cork to pay the fee on.:D

We boarded the Sky with bottles of wine in our carryons, no problem at all. They went right through the xray machines without a question form anyone.

Each night we had dinner at Le Bistro and took a bottle with us. They asked if we purchased the wine on board and with a wink I said of course I did......

They never charged me a corkage fee!

Can't guarantee they won't next time, but it was ok with me if they do or don't. We enjoy "our" selections of wine, just the same.

Archived