Just Off the Splendour -- Review of Dining Options

We tried about every dining option on the Splendour. You have the option of room service, the Windjammer Cafe, the King and I dining room and the Solarium Bar.

First, room service--We had room service for breakfast for 2 mornings. The menu is not as extensive as with the cafe or restaurant, but we found what we wanted. You just fill out the order form which is in the room and hang it on your door by 5am. You can indicate a time period in which you would like your food delivered. They call you a couple of minutes before they bring the food, so you have time to throw on a robe, etc. My husband had the ham and cheese omelet and said that it was piping hot and delicious. I had Raisin Bran and a fruit plate, which was quite tasty. We also ordered orange juice. One morning, the juice came in large glasses but the next morning they were in small glasses. If you like a lot of juice, you might need to order an extra glass. There is no extra cost for room service, but you should tip the delivery person a dollar or two. Although we often saw empty (and not so empty) trays in the hall, I think they prefer that you leave the trays in the room to be picked up. Our stateroom attendant always had them cleared in his morning cleaning.

Next--the Windjammer Cafe. We ate here for breakfast and dinner. There is a wide assortment of baked goods, including donuts and chocolate croissants if you get there early enough. Then you have a steam table buffet of scrambled eggs, bacon, sausage, and potatoes. A separate steam table has waffles (soggy) and pancakes. There is also a "made to order" omelet station. Finally, there is a station with toast, bagles and English muffins. For the cold food, you can find a wide assortment of cereals, fresh fruit, various fruit juices and cold cuts and cheese. The food was pretty good here with the exceptions of the waffles which just didn't hold up on the steam table. We never had a line for food at breakfast and there was plenty of seating. The waitstaff was excellent about clearing plates as you finished and bringing around coffee, tea, etc.

We ate dinner here one night as well. It was a quiet night as it was the formal night and most of the folks must have dressed up for dinner. Generally, the menu was similar to that being served in the dining room--you just had a buffet line. There was a carving station each night, too--pork, roast beef or turkey. It was actually kind of nice to sit here with such a great view at night to enjoy a quiet dinner.

Third--the dining room. I already mentioned in my last post our excellent experience in the dining room. The view was good; the food was excellent and the service was superb. We ate dinner here on four of the five nights and we ate one breakfast here too. At breakfast, you do not have your regular table, of course. Rather you are seated at tables with other folks as they come in. We ate at a table for 8 with 4 other folks we did not know, which was fine with us. We liked eating here because the food was "fresh off the griddle", however, it wasn't any better than the food at the Windjammer except for such things as pancakes and waffles. Our waiter, who was not our regular waiter, was rather surly that morning and I don't know if that was her general attitude or not. In fact, she was the only person we found not to be helpful and cheerful during the entire cruise. She did not seem to have an assistant and was slow with coffee refills, etc. That was our least favorite dining experience.

Finally--the Solarium Bar. The Solarium Bar is open from 11:00am to 6:00pm (or thereabouts) and again from 10:30 pm to 2:00 am. They serve hot dogs, hamburgers, pizza and french fries.(Also vegetarian options) We ate there everyday for lunch. The burgers were excellent--very tasty. The pizza was mediocre. The French fries were so fabulous that they ran out of them on the final day at sea. Free water and iced tea are available as well as hot drinks such as coffee, tea and hot chocolate. You can also get drinks at the bar (for a fee).

Last but not least, I must mention the soft serve ice cream machine. It was always available and my kids (as well as almost everyone else on board) made constant use of it. Now my kids think that's what we need for home. HA!

What a great review of the food options, my opinions exactly. I did find the scrambled eggs on the buffet to be delicious every morning except 1 and I didn't like the breakfast in the dining room (eggs benedict) but my husband did.

My husband thinks we need an ice cream machine at home, too. He probably ate more than most kids. We have a great shot on our video camera of about 6 or 8 boys eating their ice cream and one boy said it was his 47th one!

Aussiegirl,

Wonderful review of the dining options and your experiences! What were the vegetarian options in the Solarium? (as I have never noticed that before).

Thanks again for taking the time -- any more to look forward to? You have a wonderful way of giving the details and making us "anxious" for our cruises! icon_cool.gif

Bookit

Archived