Trouble With Jewelry Purchase on SPIRIT (Columbian Emeralds)

debjo

Greetings,

I thought I'd pass along this warning to anyone purchasing jewelry from Columbian Emeralds while onboard the NCL ships. My husband and I (along with a friend) purchased a few pieces of jewelry while on our May 2008 cruise on the NORWEGIAN SPIRIT. My friend received the appropriate Certificates of Authenticity & Appraisals at the time of her purchase. When my husband bought some jewelry pieces for me (during a "sale"), we were told that we'd have to pick up our "paperwork" later that day from the jewelry store. When we stopped back at the jewelry "store" onboard, to pick the paperwork up, we were told it wasn't yet done and to come back later that evening. Again, we returned, only to be told that the papers weren't yet prepared and that they would now be delivered to our cabin. The paperwork didn't arrive at our cabin the next day either! When the SPIRIT docked upon return to New York City, we still hadn't received our "paperwork", so my husband made an inquiry at the ship's "reception" desk before we disembarked, as the jewelry shop was now closed since we were "in port". The gal at Reception referred my husband to the ship's Hotel Manager, Frank Hasenwinkle...who, in turn, put my husband in touch with the Columbian Emerald Store Manager, Sam Asworth, who was onboard the ship. Sam Asworth apologized to my husband for the delay and took our name & address and said that he would mail the "certificates" out to us at their next Port-Of-Call and we should have the "certificates" by the end of the week at home. Needless to say after our return home, that "week" came and went and still there were no "certificates".

I phoned our cruise planner to see how we should address this matter. She obtained a phone number for Columbian Emeralds (a number which I had also found on the internet...the same one that I had also gotten from NCL).

By the time I called Columbian Emeralds...only one certificate (we should have gotten three certificates) arrived in the mail...a full two weeks after promised...and to make matters worse...that certificate was incomplete.

After talking with a customer service rep at Columbian Emeralds, I was directed to send her an email along with copies of our purchase receipts. I did so, and added a recap of our saga, which I explained to her on the phone. Her agreeable nature led me to expect that I'd receive some sort of response in the next few days. Let me say that, to date...a full month later...I've received neither an email response nor any paperwork in the postal mail to resolve this matter.

At this point, I'm sick about the lack of service and follow-up with Columbian Emeralds. The joy I had in receiving the "gifts" from my husband is now replaced with frustration every time I look at my "gifts". I've sent another email to the customer service representative, that I previously dealt with, and will make another phone call during business hours tomorrow.

I'd like to know if other Cruise Critic members have also had this kind of treatment or difficulty with Columbian Emeralds and what they were able to do about it. At this point, I'm beginning to think that the jewelry items we purchased are not what it was the company claimed them to be...if I'm mistaken, then why won't they send the appropriate authenticating paperwork to us??????

This was the first time that we've purchased any of the "expensive" jewelry onboard ship while on any of our many cruises...you can bet it will probably be our last jewelry purchase on a cruise. Lesson learned...BUYER BEWARE!

Debjo:confused: :mad:

Greetings,

I thought I'd pass along this warning to anyone purchasing jewelry from Columbian Emeralds while onboard the NCL ships. My husband and I (along with a friend) purchased a few pieces of jewelry while on our May 2008 cruise on the NORWEGIAN SPIRIT. My friend received the appropriate Certificates of Authenticity & Appraisals at the time of her purchase. When my husband bought some jewelry pieces for me (during a "sale"), we were told that we'd have to pick up our "paperwork" later that day from the jewelry store. When we stopped back at the jewelry "store" onboard, to pick the paperwork up, we were told it wasn't yet done and to come back later that evening. Again, we returned, only to be told that the papers weren't yet prepared and that they would now be delivered to our cabin. The paperwork didn't arrive at our cabin the next day either! When the SPIRIT docked upon return to New York City, we still hadn't received our "paperwork", so my husband made an inquiry at the ship's "reception" desk before we disembarked, as the jewelry shop was now closed since we were "in port". The gal at Reception referred my husband to the ship's Hotel Manager, Frank Hasenwinkle...who, in turn, put my husband in touch with the Columbian Emerald Store Manager, Sam Asworth, who was onboard the ship. Sam Asworth apologized to my husband for the delay and took our name & address and said that he would mail the "certificates" out to us at their next Port-Of-Call and we should have the "certificates" by the end of the week at home. Needless to say after our return home, that "week" came and went and still there were no "certificates".

I phoned our cruise planner to see how we should address this matter. She obtained a phone number for Columbian Emeralds (a number which I had also found on the internet...the same one that I had also gotten from NCL).

By the time I called Columbian Emeralds...only one certificate (we should have gotten three certificates) arrived in the mail...a full two weeks after promised...and to make matters worse...that certificate was incomplete.

After talking with a customer service rep at Columbian Emeralds, I was directed to send her an email along with copies of our purchase receipts. I did so, and added a recap of our saga, which I explained to her on the phone. Her agreeable nature led me to expect that I'd receive some sort of response in the next few days. Let me say that, to date...a full month later...I've received neither an email response nor any paperwork in the postal mail to resolve this matter.

At this point, I'm sick about the lack of service and follow-up with Columbian Emeralds. The joy I had in receiving the "gifts" from my husband is now replaced with frustration every time I look at my "gifts". I've sent another email to the customer service representative, that I previously dealt with, and will make another phone call during business hours tomorrow.

I'd like to know if other Cruise Critic members have also had this kind of treatment or difficulty with Columbian Emeralds and what they were able to do about it. At this point, I'm beginning to think that the jewelry items we purchased are not what it was the company claimed them to be...if I'm mistaken, then why won't they send the appropriate authenticating paperwork to us??????

This was the first time that we've purchased any of the "expensive" jewelry onboard ship while on any of our many cruises...you can bet it will probably be our last jewelry purchase on a cruise. Lesson learned...BUYER BEWARE!

Debjo:confused: :mad:

I can understand your frustration. If you paid my credit card, I would call the card company and put a hold on the payment. I would explain the situation and allow the card company to assist in getting the paperwork. If you paid for something you didn't get, the credit card company will work with you. Good luck.

My mom bought me a nice Emerald/Diamond ring in St. Thomas (or was it Tortola? sorry I don't remember!) at CEI. After about 6 months, one of the diamonds came out and was lost. We sent the ring back to them and they replaced it. Not sure if they replaced lost diamond, or whole ring as it looked exactly the same. Only cost was postage / insurance.

Well, a couple of months later, I lost another diamond out of the ring. SO, I stopped wearing it. Decided that since we were sailing again soon, I'd just take it along and get it fixed -hopefully - onboard.

After looking at the rings onboard... I decided to go with another style - perhaps somewhat less fragile. They were very nice in CEI, they had to do some checking on how much credit they could give for the currently owned (missing a diamond) ring toward a new ring purchase. They said to stop back in the store the next day and they would know something.

We came back the next day - gave us full credit for original ring, plus further discounted the new ring. Was a terrific bargain! I have had this new ring for over 1 1/2 years with no problems at all. :D

(This was all onboard the DAWN)

Well, just wanted to share my experience with CEI.

I hope that you get your paperwork issues resolved. :)

That's an awful (and awfully frustrating!) story.

One of the best purchases I have ever made was a gold pendant for my daughter aboard a Princess ship years ago. I think about that a lot while I look at the (usually) overpriced pieces onboard today.

I hope you do get it resolved, and I have to say that Frank H. is my favorite of all hotel directors.

Jana

I am so sorry you have had such a hard time with your gifts. It doesn't make sense that they are being so difficult about it. I have never been a huge fan of Columbia Emerald. Years ago I was looking at a ring or something in one of their shops in the Caribbean and this particular emerald in the ring had such a HUGE flaw I could see it easily just by looking. Didn't even need a loop. When the salesman tried to tell me what a high quality stone it was, that turned me off of them, kind of left a bad taste in my mouth. I realize that was just one salesman.. but just made me leery of CEI.

Thanks everyone for your responses...it is good to hear that some have been more than satisfied with their Columbian Emeralds purchases & service. If I was dealing with just one of their sales representatives I would attribute our situation to having a bad sales rep, but since we have dealt with several people both onboard the SPIRIT and over the phone at home, I tend to think there is something else going on.

On the positive side, I'm hoping to get some response from the email I sent out yesterday to the customer service rep I previously spoke with...keep your fingers crossed...I'd really like to get this matter resolved. It seems to be more of a matter of principal than anything else at this point...a loose end I'd like to get tied up!

Debjo

• 2 weeks later...

GOOD NEWS...BAD NEWS...

Well, I'm happy to report that last week, I finally got a response from COLUMBIAN EMERALDS...not an email, nor a phone call, but an envelope with two certificates of appraisal/authenticity in it. These certificates covered two of the three purchases we made.

The BAD NEWS is that I didn't get a third certificate for the pearl necklace & bracelet set we purchased.

Again, there wasn't any return address on the envelope, nor was there any "cover" letter of explanation (or apology for the "delay" in mailing). So, I'm wondering if I should just let this "slide" at this point, or should I continuing pursuing this as a matter of principal???? Why can't this company get anything right????

Frustrated,

Debjo

GOOD NEWS...BAD NEWS...

Well, I'm happy to report that last week, I finally got a response from COLUMBIAN EMERALDS...not an email, nor a phone call, but an envelope with two certificates of appraisal/authenticity in it. These certificates covered two of the three purchases we made.

The BAD NEWS is that I didn't get a third certificate for the pearl necklace & bracelet set we purchased.

Again, there wasn't any return address on the envelope, nor was there any "cover" letter of explanation (or apology for the "delay" in mailing). So, I'm wondering if I should just let this "slide" at this point, or should I continuing pursuing this as a matter of principal???? Why can't this company get anything right????

Frustrated,

Debjo

I would call again ....can't hurt....they try slower...

• 2 years later...

I wish I had read the last post before purchasing jewelry from Columbian Emeralds aboard the Norwegian Spirit last month. I purchased a blue larimar ring with 2 blue topaz accent stones. The ring was gorgeous so I purchased earrings and a pendant to match because I knew I wouldn't be able to match them separately. Two days after returning home, I was wearing the ring (luckily in my home) and the stone just fell out. I immediately called customer service and followed all of the instructions on returning the ring which included sending it registered mail and insuring it. I was also told the fee would be reimbursed by check once it was received. Well, a month later and now I receive an email stating the ring would not be repaired, a replacement could not be given so they are giving me a 'store' credit. Again, I called customer service and yes, they are quite nice, but no they can't really do anything. They won't allow returning of the earrings and pendant although they do understand it was a set with the ring as the cornerstone. No, they don't have any store that I can redeem the certificate in unless I travel again. No, their online store isn't able to sell anything right now even if they had the ring available, which they don't. No, they won't give a credit card refund, it's just their policy. To add insult to injury, I had asked if I could have it reset locally if they would reimburse me and, again, the answer was NO. Then they tell me the reason they cannot repair it is because the 'stone' was chipped. I took a picture before I returned it and the stone was not chipped. I also took great pains in packing it because it was just one of those pieces I immediately fell in love with and wanted it back! Needless to say, this is the worst experience I've ever had purchasing anything. Although I've sailed Norwegian a few times and have always had a great experience, I won't be shopping onboard at Columbian Emeralds! Oh and the customer service rep asked surprised when I asked her about reimbursement for the postage (16.00 due to their regulations on returning!)....we'll see what happens....

I wish I had read the last post before purchasing jewelry from Columbian Emeralds aboard the Norwegian Spirit last month. I purchased a blue larimar ring with 2 blue topaz accent stones. The ring was gorgeous so I purchased earrings and a pendant to match because I knew I wouldn't be able to match them separately. Two days after returning home, I was wearing the ring (luckily in my home) and the stone just fell out. I immediately called customer service and followed all of the instructions on returning the ring which included sending it registered mail and insuring it. I was also told the fee would be reimbursed by check once it was received. Well, a month later and now I receive an email stating the ring would not be repaired, a replacement could not be given so they are giving me a 'store' credit. Again, I called customer service and yes, they are quite nice, but no they can't really do anything. They won't allow returning of the earrings and pendant although they do understand it was a set with the ring as the cornerstone. No, they don't have any store that I can redeem the certificate in unless I travel again. No, their online store isn't able to sell anything right now even if they had the ring available, which they don't. No, they won't give a credit card refund, it's just their policy. To add insult to injury, I had asked if I could have it reset locally if they would reimburse me and, again, the answer was NO. Then they tell me the reason they cannot repair it is because the 'stone' was chipped. I took a picture before I returned it and the stone was not chipped. I also took great pains in packing it because it was just one of those pieces I immediately fell in love with and wanted it back! Needless to say, this is the worst experience I've ever had purchasing anything. Although I've sailed Norwegian a few times and have always had a great experience, I won't be shopping onboard at Columbian Emeralds! Oh and the customer service rep asked surprised when I asked her about reimbursement for the postage (16.00 due to their regulations on returning!)....we'll see what happens....

I don't blame you. I have heard some other stories about Emerald Diamonds. I am certainly not blaming NCL, but I too would be careful what I buy on board. We pretty much only purcase booze and little items like the cheap watches, etc.

Nita

Archived