private shore excursions at the tender port (Saint John NB)

We were planning to make our own arrangements at each port, and not book Princess excursions. I've been reading reviews of Canada/NE cruises on both Princess and RCI, and all of them say that it's a problem at the tender ports (Bar Harbour and Saint John) getting off the ship if you are not booked on a ship's excursion. Those on ship's tours get priority tendering, and it may be hours before the "freelancers" are allowed off the ship. Now, we've been to many Caribbean tender ports, and never ever had an issue getting off the ship whenever we wanted.

Is this the case?

We were planning to make our own arrangements at each port, and not book Princess excursions. I've been reading reviews of Canada/NE cruises on both Princess and RCI, and all of them say that it's a problem at the tender ports (Bar Harbour and Saint John) getting off the ship if you are not booked on a ship's excursion. Those on ship's tours get priority tendering, and it may be hours before the "freelancers" are allowed off the ship. Now, we've been to many Caribbean tender ports, and never ever had an issue getting off the ship whenever we wanted.

Is this the case?

Saint John, New Brunswick is not and has never been, a tender port. The ships dock in the downtown area of the city.

Oops- I apologize. I just double checked my itinerary from Princess. It's Bar Harbour and Newport that are the tender ports. *so confusing*

Thanks for the reality check! lol

You're welcome. There are so many little details to worry about when planning a cruise isn't there? :D

Archived