interesting article on art auctions at sea

sej67

It always amazes me people attend these auctions. Here are some insider tips from me:

1. Free flowing cheap champagne to weaken your judgment.

2. If a "$2500" painting is sold for $100, it's only worth $100, not $2500.

3. They will have international crew members clap when a purchase is made to make you feel "special". They also help "call" the bid loudly to increase the adrenaline thus lower your sense of judgment.

4. There will be a "rapid" really "cheap" sale known as a "sacrifice" to the first person that raises there card to make the other feel like they're missing out on something good and to get them to start bidding. - also tries to show there are bargains to be had.

5. Did anyone ever wonder why auctions are held in international waters? - it's because they are insulated from US consumer protection and fraud laws.

6. The auctioneers prey on the elderly - just go and see for yourself.

7. "Shilling" or false bidding is not illegal at sea - the auctioneers can call bids right out of the air and you have no idea because you don't have eyes at the back of your head.

8. Art is misrepresented and exaggerated.

If you are interested in art - go to a local land based gallery. Buying at sea is a big mistake.

It always amazes me people attend these auctions. Here are some insider tips from me:

1. Free flowing cheap champagne to weaken your judgment.

2. If a "$2500" painting is sold for $100, it's only worth $100, not $2500.

3. They will have international crew members clap when a purchase is made to make you feel "special". They also help "call" the bid loudly to increase the adrenaline thus lower your sense of judgment.

4. There will be a "rapid" really "cheap" sale known as a "sacrifice" to the first person that raises there card to make the other feel like they're missing out on something good and to get them to start bidding. - also tries to show there are bargains to be had.

5. Did anyone ever wonder why auctions are held in international waters? - it's because they are insulated from US consumer protection and fraud laws.

6. The auctioneers prey on the elderly - just go and see for yourself.

7. "Shilling" or false bidding is not illegal at sea - the auctioneers can call bids right out of the air and you have no idea because you don't have eyes at the back of your head.

8. Art is misrepresented and exaggerated.

If you are interested in art - go to a local land based gallery. Buying at sea is a big mistake.

You forgot something!

Everyone who attends gets a "free" print!

I go for the free cheap champagne to hold me over until my lunch time martini. :D

Now anyone want to talk about all those "deals" that everyone gets on jewelry, diamonds and fabulous watches on the islands?

If I need a watch or a ring that bad I am not booking a cruise to go shopping. I will take my chances at home thank you.

Art auctions don't really bother me as I always have the philosophy

of "caveat emptor" when buying anything and I never rush into it just because someone tells me it's a great deal unless I have had done some research on the item.

But, I do agree people get caught in the hipe and excitement of auctions and people get greedy when thinking they can make a lot of money on a painting.

We actually have a game that we play. We walk through and try to find a single picture you could hang in your home without having to say "we got it as a present and had to keep it." Seriously, how many pictures of angels, quaint British cottages or farms could people possibly need?

Don't you DARE insult my Thomas Kincaids!!!!:mad: Why every time I look at mine, and those cute little points of light, it reminds me of George Bush,Sr.'s speech, and I feel all warm and aglow inside.

(Heartburn?);)

(Blech...how could anyone call that art?:rolleyes: )

Andrew

Just found this thread and have read the few posts with amusement. None of the comments made here come to me as a surprise. Personally, and no offense to anyone, I find these auctions to be mostly a nuisance. They take over a lounge, or as I have seen on some ships, over the entire main lobby or centrum area. Then they get so loud that you can hear them from other decks. Whenever I walk by their art, I look at them and wonder who would pay the $'s that they say it is worth. So much of it looks like kitsch to me. Reminds me of the Wentworth Galleries at the local mall.

I know that there are those who take these auctions and art seriously. I respect their wishes and taste.

Hello Lee and Andrew!

Most of this art I really couldn't care less about, but once in a while I see some signed cartoon cells that I collect and they are usually around the same price as you can find on land (no great deals). But some are harder to find on land than others, and if I see one on a ship and the price is reasonable then I go for it. As I said before, you have to know your art and prices.

I know that there are those who take these auctions and art seriously. I respect their wishes and taste.

I think it likely speaks to my lack of knowledge (I don't know art but I know what I don't like) that it all looks like schlock to me but you have to think that if it were truly collectible art, it wouldn't be stacked on the floor and moved around on rolling wardrobe carts like chattel.

When we sailed on Constellation, we had a very fun chat with the art auctioneer who was clearly "family" and each time we walked through, we'd nod or say hello. I hesitated a second too long in front of [a print of a] piece by Joan Miro and I was quite surprised how he spoke so articulately about Miro's work and its progression. He even pulled out reference books to illustrate his point. Of course, by the this point I couldn't admit that I just thought it had pretty colors but I did manage to ward off his auction invitations.

I think it likely speaks to my lack of knowledge (I don't know art but I know what I don't like) that it all looks like schlock to me but you have to think that if it were truly collectible art, it wouldn't be stacked on the floor and moved around on rolling wardrobe carts like chattel.

Exactly. By far I am not one who can speak about art either. But when I walk by them and I see the condition of some of the frames it really makes me wonder. I have seen frames scratched and dented as well as falling apart.

I'll respect their wishes...but you can't ask me to respect their taste!

Thanks for the laugh, Ed. BTW, I see that Karyn will be sailing on the Solstice on Dec. 7th. Are you and Ed booked? I just booked last week. I joined the roll call yesterday and she remembered me from the Constellation crossing.

Juan

Juan, sadly, no, we're not on that one...We're getting hitched in October, so the big Fall trip is our honeymoon on the QE2...:)

And we're saving for a country house, so the outlook on adding a second cruise in '09 is bleak...:(

But one never knows...if the lottery gods smile down on me.:D

Andrew

Archived