Statendam - Double Full Transit

grandmaR

We are going to be on the Statendam which does two full transits of the Panama Canal - Ft. Lauderdale to Peru and then back to Ft. Lauderdale.

This is what they have for the itin.

5 San Blas Islands, Panama 11 AM to 6 PM

6 Panama Canal, Panama 5:00 AM 07:00 PM Fuerte Amador, Panama City ON 7 PM

7 Fuerte Amador, Panama City leave 5 PM

Then on day

19 Panama Canal, Panama 05:00 AM 05:00 PM

There are no excursions for the San Blas Islands or either of the Panama Canal transit dates.

My question is - what should we do as excursions - if any - for the day 6 and 7 in the port? I would like to do the Aerial Tram, El Valle, or the Embera Indian Village, but I am afraid it would be too strenuous for me (as I do not do well with steps or walking on uneven ground). I'm not even sure about the "Shaping of Panama" which is listed as moderate activity.

What possibility is there for doing those things on one's own? How interesting is the Shaping of Panama? The description says:

This scenic get-acquainted excursion takes you to see the ruins of the churches and convents, colonial palaces, bridges and military buildings that attest to the grandiose past of Old Panama. Next, the road leads past many historic monuments and sights with a short detour into the upscale neighborhoods of Punta Paitilla and Golf Heights, including a drive past the former residence of the infamous General Manuel Noriega. You will drive through the streets of the old French Quarter of Panama City, founded in 1673 by French colonists. En route along the coastline to El Casco Antigou, you’ll hear tales of gallantry and piracy once common to the narrow streets of Colonial Panama known as Casco Antiguo. Visit the beautiful vaulted promenade of Las Bovedas and the French Plaza which pays homage to those who built the Panama Canal. In addition to these monuments, a number of old houses and other attractions can be found in the downtown district.

The non-strenuous tours include the Panama Railway, the Miraflores Locks or the ferry. I've just realized that we have done locks on our own boat in several different countries, and observed other locks in various places.so just the locking process itself is pretty well known to us. How different would those things be considering we will do the actual transit of the canal? Are any of these things a MUST SEE?

Archived