New to the PG

Misha

After cruising with Regent to the Carribbean, the Baltic and Alaska, we've opted to try out the PG next June. I'm just now starting my research and thought this would be a good place to start. We will probably add on a few days either before or after the cruise. Any comments on must do's, tips or suggestions from anyone? I realize this will be a different experience from our other cruises, but am looking forward to the water activities and scenic beauty. Thanks in advance, Jan

We just got off and already booked again for next year. We had the greatest time and met so many great people. We started the week off with a table for two and ended with one for ten. The water was so beautiful and the sea life was amazing. We did dives and snorkeled. Everything was top notch. If you have any specific questions I would be glad to offer my humble opinion.

We did a pre-stay at the Sheraton on Moorea and loved it. It was quiet, beautiful and the snorkeling was phenomenal. Water was always calm and easy to swim in. We went and looked at other resorts on the island and we were very pleased with our choice. We also stayed at the Inter-continental at Papeete and we thought if was too big and spread out. It was more crowded and there were a ton of kids running around. I would suggest a pre-stay because after your PG experience, you will be disappointed with anything else.

Thanks for your reply.... I'm a long way off from specific questions, but I will definintely keep you in mind! I already have 3 pages of notes and have ordered a Tahiti guide..... Really looking forward to this!

You'll find quite a few suggestions and recommendations on this board. There is a LOT of discussion about the PG.

I agree with the recommendation for a pre-stay--if nothing else, it will help get past the jet lag and you'll be better able to enjoy the start of the cruise. We did the Regent's 2 night pre-cruise package at the Radisson Plaza, which was fine for us. Passengers who got to the ship right before sailing were still feeling the effects of their late arrival a couple of days later.

If your plans include a balcony cabin, don't delay on getting your deposit in. We booked ours a year out and at the time we were "only" able to get a category C guarantee, although we did get a cabin assignment not too long after that. I'm not sure if our situation was affected by one California travel agency that booked a large number of passengers on our sailing. But we originally looked for a June-July 2007 cruise in November of 2006 and could not get a balcony for any of the summer dates we wanted.

As for the pros and cons of balconies, to us it was worth it--we sat out there every day when we came back from touring, snorkeling, the pool, etc. And it's nice for in-room breakfast, especially if you have an early tour.

One thing to keep in mind: Sunset doesn't vary much around the equator. While it was at 8:45 pm or so at home, it was around 5:45 during our June 25-July 5 cruise. That was a lot less daylight than we'd expected.

Karen

Regarding watersports... if you're not a diver, but have sometimes though it would be fun to try, this is the place to take a resort dive, (or two). An hour slideshow then and hour in the pool and you will be able to dive inside the reef in Bora Bora and outside the reef in Moorea (shark gallery -- not as scary as it sounds). Dominique and his crew are tops and he introduce you to his friends down below. Just a thought.

By the way -- to my mind, a balcony cabin is not needed on the PG as you will not be spending many waking hours in your cabin.

Have fun

Archived