Onboard theft?

AKBeagleMom

• 2 months later...
I woke up to this news report on our local radio station:

Troopers in Juneau help cruise ship passenger get stolen watch back

A passenger aboard the cruise ship Infinity filed a case of theft Tuesday with the State Trooper detachment in Juneau to report a stolen watch valued at about $800.

During an investigation, Troopers located who they described as a "cleaner" who had "forgotten", as the dispatch puts it, to turn the watch in.

Two other watches of question were also discovered in his cabin.

The theft occurred in Canadian waters and Juneau was the first port of call, according to the Trooper dispatch. U. S. Borders and Customs were notified. No charges will be filed in Alaska in this case.

The victims' watch was returned and ship's security is proceeding with internal disciplinary actions. -- From kinyradio.com

Does this happen often and is this something we should be worried about?

In over 250 cruises and over 30 years, I've never had anything stolen onboard a ship........

• 4 weeks later...

Extremley rare. I often forget to lock my safe with valuables and diamonds. I trust my stewards 100%. Having said that, "new" stewards start working their way up - literally. So I always book a cabin on the upper decks, near the suites, where the most experienced stewards are. I would imagine this person was employed less than a year with the line.

You know though, this brings up an interesting point. It is my understanding with all the new mega ships beings floated out, the lines are finding it hard to keep a full staff....must be a lot of new employees now. DUMB ones.;)

we've never had anything stolen, and we're careful to lock valuables in the safe. i even put the locks on the suitcases when we're not in the room. if it's not out there to tempt anyone, it's less likely to disappear.

that said, i do know someone who had her knock off purses stolen from her closet. this was on a carnival mediterranean cruise. she had bought them in port and put them in her closet next to her suitcases. i don't know exactly when they were taken, just that she knows she put them in the closet, and the next time she opened the closet, the purses were gone. so it does happen. she reported it to the cruise ship staff, but they didn't do anything.

we've never had anything stolen, and we're careful to lock valuables in the safe. i even put the locks on the suitcases when we're not in the room. if it's not out there to tempt anyone, it's less likely to disappear.

that said, i do know someone who had her knock off purses stolen from her closet. this was on a carnival mediterranean cruise. she had bought them in port and put them in her closet next to her suitcases. i don't know exactly when they were taken, just that she knows she put them in the closet, and the next time she opened the closet, the purses were gone. so it does happen. she reported it to the cruise ship staff, but they didn't do anything.

I wouldn't leave ANYTHING out in a Carnival cabin...not even a hairbrush! Most rapes I've read about over the years have been carnival crew.

The only thing I've had disappear from our cabin while on a cruise was the memory card to my camera. It's small, so maybe it dropped and was vaccuumed up? I can't imagine the steward being willing to risk her job over something of so little monetary value. It held all the pictures of my vacation so it was a sad thing to lose.

I would say that this is rare, but there's always one person who makes the rest of the staff look bad. I have several Tissot's, a Baume and Ebel. I purposely don't leave them laying around while cruising, but sometimes forget to put them back in the safe. When I leave them out, they are always where I left them, even when the stewards clean.

Excuse me, but am I the only one who doesn't know what these are? Name-dropping? Or my ignorance? - I figure you'll say the latter!;)

Are these:

1) watches

2) wines

3) lithographs

4) shoes

5) None of the above

6) All of the above

:D:D:D

Excuse me, but am I the only one who doesn't know what these are? Name-dropping? Or my ignorance? - I figure you'll say the latter!;)

Are these:

1) watches

2) wines

3) lithographs

4) shoes

5) None of the above

6) All of the above

I have a Tissot, cost me a pretty penny but love it. I also have an IWC and always put THAT in a safe.(To scared to wear it)

Are these:

1) watches

2) wines

3) lithographs

4) shoes

5) None of the above

6) All of the above

These are all watches.

It's not so much name dropping as it is "style" dropping. Each of these brands has a very distinct look to it. It's less the name of the brand, but the exclusivity of the look.

Kind of like Movado if that helps clarify what I'm trying to say.

Kind of like Movado if that helps clarify what I'm trying to say.

Um, no, not really. You mean like a Timex?!:D

I've had a Fossil (like the pax on Hal;)), a Citizen, a Swatch, and oh, yes, an Omega - wherever it is now. Do people still buy watches? I like the $6.99 ones at Wal-Mart. But then again, I'm one of those who wears socks with my Tevas - [see socks thread] - (Surprised they will let us on the ship!!:p)Oh, now I wear sox with my Chung Shi. See, I'm name dropping!:) !!:) Just to keep on topic, I wear them so they won't get stolen! ;-D

Oh, now I wear sox with my Chung Shi. See, I'm name dropping!:) !!:) Just to keep on topic, I wear them so they won't get stolen! ;-D

You are funny. If we're ever on a cruise together, I'll take you watch shopping and you can take me socks shopping (for my Teva's)

and yes to get back on topic...I chose not to wear my wedding set on my cruise for one reason. If I had lost it, I would be heartbroken. After being on the ship, I kind of wish I had taken it. While on the ship itself, I could have worn it and felt safe doing so. I could have locked it in the safe while in port.

Well, maybe next time then!

To answer the OP's much answered question: I felt safer on that ship than I did in a regular hotel. I think thievery is less on a cruise ship because you are more likely to get caught. Where the hell are you going to go? Not to mention that there are cameras EVERYWHERE. If you have even an inkling of who stole something from you, it's easy to locate them and find out.

Archived