Onboard theft?

AKBeagleMom

I woke up to this news report on our local radio station:

Troopers in Juneau help cruise ship passenger get stolen watch back

A passenger aboard the cruise ship Infinity filed a case of theft Tuesday with the State Trooper detachment in Juneau to report a stolen watch valued at about $800.

During an investigation, Troopers located who they described as a "cleaner" who had "forgotten", as the dispatch puts it, to turn the watch in.

Two other watches of question were also discovered in his cabin.

The theft occurred in Canadian waters and Juneau was the first port of call, according to the Trooper dispatch. U. S. Borders and Customs were notified. No charges will be filed in Alaska in this case.

The victims' watch was returned and ship's security is proceeding with internal disciplinary actions. -- From kinyradio.com

Does this happen often and is this something we should be worried about?

I believe this is rare! I've been on 11 cruises and never had anything stolen, nor have I heard of anyone on the cruise with me having anything stolen. The room steward depends on your tips. If they are suspected as thieves, they won't get tips. I don't think you have anything to worry about.

Not only won't they get their tips, they won't have a job!!!!

I, too, think this is a rare thing. But, all cash, credit cards and jewelry do remain in the safe! Oh, except for the time hubby's diamond wedding ring was left on the sink--where our attendant found it, and put it in an envelope on the dresser with a note! Thank-you, attendant!!!!!

last cruise i used the safe, but usually i just tuck important stuff in the luggage and put it under the bed. i never put the laptop away, sometimes i will tuck it on the side of the sofa...just to get it out of everyone's way.

i have left cash out, DH forgot his wallet (last cruise) left it out on the table..no problems.

BUT i would recommend leaving expensive jewelry at HOME...

not for mistrusting the crew/staff of the ship. but because people drink, have fun and forgot where they put that diamond ring?

We leave our loot at home. The only thing of value we bring is our electronics (iPods, laptop, camera). Losing those is no big cept the lost pictures that didn't get backed up to a CD.

Extra cash, CC, docs, and back up cds go into the safe.

:cool:

We've never been worried for a moment. but with that said, there is a safe in the cabin for a reason and we do use it for the cash, credit cards and passports we take with us. Caution is a good thing, but we don't see any reason to be worried or overly concerned.

I am sure this person found his way off the ship and back to nation of origin without delay.

I believe the crew is very honest. It is probably something they are drilled about daily. Any reports of loss can mean that someone will not have a job!

On my CCL Pride cruise to the Mexican Riviera, I had an a multi adaptor fail. Well, I threw it in the trash only to have the room steward pull it out later and place it on the desk. Well, I placed it in the trash again, only to come back after breakfast to find that it was pulled out of the trash again and placed on top of other electronic I had on the desk. I had to finally tell the steward that I wanted to get rid of it as it was defective. It was very nice of the steward to make sure in my party mode that I was not throwing my life away! hahah :D

From my understanding, these are jobs of a lifetime for some of these people, as they would never make the same money from homeland jobs. I for one appreciate their hard work and it really is sad to hear about this story.

Just this past week I lost my wedding ring in our cabin. I had taken it off as my hands had become kind of swollen. I was looking for the ring as my husband was holding the door open, waiting for me to come out. Our room steward happened to be there and asked us if we needed something. My husband told him the situation. He got in there with us and looked for it and finally found that I had most likely knocked it off the counter and it rolled under the bed a bit. He was beaming when he found it and handed it to me. He said told me "maam, no I would not take your ring." I felt so bad. I reassured him we did not think he had and that it was my fault.

Generally, we do put things in the safe, but have occasionally left change or a pair of earrings out and they are still there.

• 4 months later...

Most women's engagement rings are way more than $800 and you rarely see them left at home. I've cruised with people who've cruised with jewelry worth more than $100,000. As a matter of fact, I was on a Crystal cruise where the passenger in the Crystal Penthouse fell and broke her leg, had to be airlifted off the ship to the Canary Islands, and she had nearly $1 million in jewelry with her. I guess that's why God made insurance policies for jewelry.

Most women's engagement rings are way more than $800 and you rarely see them left at home. I've cruised with people who've cruised with jewelry worth more than $100,000. As a matter of fact, I was on a Crystal cruise where the passenger in the Crystal Penthouse fell and broke her leg, had to be airlifted off the ship to the Canary Islands, and she had nearly $1 million in jewelry with her. I guess that's why God made insurance policies for jewelry.

Hi kitty9!

Yes, I agree that most women's engagement rings are worth more than $800.00, as is mine, and that most women cruise with their rings. I, however, always make a trip to the bank to put my rings in the safe deposit box before any trip. I have never traveled with valuables (a digital camera being the most valuable item I carry). To me, it adds to the enjoyment of the trip to not have to worry about valuables, losing them, making sure they are in the safe, etc. Your mileage may vary!!

Why would you travel with an $800.00 piece of jewelry??

I buy jewlery on most of the cruises I take and I bring my good jewlery with me on cruises. It is practically the only time I have occasion to wear it. I also bring all my receipts to prove I brought it along and did not buy all of it on the cruise.

I lock it in my safe and have never had any problem.

Bear in mind that some mornings, when the stewards are cleaning and everyone is off at breakfast or in port, they may have the doors open to all of a group of cabins. It is easy for some lowlife to walk in and grab anything left out.

I trust the cabin attendants MUCH more than my fellow passengers.

It seems that somehow people let down their guard because we're all one, big happy family of cruisers. In reality, we have no idea if the person we just asked to watch our stuff while we went in the pool is a lowlife thief or a saint!

I just lock things in the safe.

I woke up to this news report on our local radio station:

Troopers in Juneau help cruise ship passenger get stolen watch back

A passenger aboard the cruise ship Infinity filed a case of theft Tuesday with the State Trooper detachment in Juneau to report a stolen watch valued at about $800.

During an investigation, Troopers located who they described as a "cleaner" who had "forgotten", as the dispatch puts it, to turn the watch in.

Two other watches of question were also discovered in his cabin.

The theft occurred in Canadian waters and Juneau was the first port of call, according to the Trooper dispatch. U. S. Borders and Customs were notified. No charges will be filed in Alaska in this case.

The victims' watch was returned and ship's security is proceeding with internal disciplinary actions. -- From kinyradio.com

Does this happen often and is this something we should be worried about?

Over 200 cruises all over the world and I've never had one thing taken from me personally or from my cabin.

Not that it couldn't happen.........but it is certainly rare enough to be called an oddity.

Bear in mind that some mornings, when the stewards are cleaning and everyone is off at breakfast or in port, they may have the doors open to all of a group of cabins. It is easy for some lowlife to walk in and grab anything left out.

I trust the cabin attendants MUCH more than my fellow passengers.

It seems that somehow people let down their guard because we're all one, big happy family of cruisers. In reality, we have no idea if the person we just asked to watch our stuff while we went in the pool is a lowlife thief or a saint!

I just lock things in the safe.

My sentiments exactly. I wear my diamond jewellery every day when at home. I put it into the safety deposit box at the bank when travelling anywhere. I have beautiful fakes to wear on the ship. When I go ashore I put them in the safe in my cabin. They are too much of a temptation to leave out.

Fran

Why would you travel with an $800.00 piece of jewelry??

That is a question of relativity. If you earn $600 per week or $6000 per week, $800 to the first person is over a week wages to the second less than a days. I have seen many Rolex watches on cruise ships, most of which I gues are several thousand dollars each. The OP, I have never heard of or had experience of theft on board ship. I have left valuables out in my cabin by accident, and they are still there after the steward has cleaned up. As someone else said, I trust the staff far more that some of my fellow passengers.

I trust the room staff and most everyone that enters my cabin while sailing, never had anything missing. That having been said, I do now lock my luggage when I put it out the night before disembarking, when we got to the airport after leaving the NCL Spirit in NYC we noticed that items we had bought that we had put into our luggage had been stolen. When we contacted NCL, they basically blew it off, saying thay had no other problems with that on the ship, and why did we not report it at the dock? Our travel insurance covered it, but it's still not right. So I would say trust the ones you see, be wary of the ones you don't, whether they are passengers or crew.

While on a cruise to the Western Caribbean, I had an experiece with a lady whose luggage did not make it to the ship on time. The cruise line did help her by giving her an allowance for purchases in the shops onboard. Anyone who has cruised knows that the clothes in the shops don't come in larger sizes. I was sitting with friends in the dining room and this lady came over to me and told me the story of her friend whose luggage was missing. She told me that we were about the same size and did I have any extra clothes she could borrow. I didn't have any extras, but remembered that my aunt had just given me some clothes that her daughter-in-law left for me before she moved. My aunt and uncle lived in Miami and I stayed with them just before the cruise. I had a few pairs of jeans and blouses in my suitcase that I was taking home. I loaned these items to the lady with the lost luggage. The cabin steward picked up her items and cleaned them daily. The items were returned to me later and were cleaned and pressed by the staff.

The funny part of this story: When in Grand Cayman, I was introduced to the lady by her friend while in a store picking up some small gifts. She hugged me and thanked me over and over. I think the store staff thought something was "going down" -- which wasn't -- only overwhelming gratitude. I exchanged addresses with Jackie, but haven't heard from her in a long time. She was in Chicago and I am in Cleveland.

SO, pack sets of clothes (blouse/shirt, slacks, underclothing, shoes, etc.) in each suitcase so that you have something to wear even if one suitcase is missing. Also, I always put a bathing suit in my carry-on along with a few other incidentals.

Have a great trip. If you have room in your suitcase, include a few items that may help another traveler.

I would say that this is rare, but there's always one person who makes the rest of the staff look bad. I have several Tissot's, a Baume and Ebel. I purposely don't leave them laying around while cruising, but sometimes forget to put them back in the safe. When I leave them out, they are always where I left them, even when the stewards clean.

Archived