Post cruise back to SNA/Orange County How?

dolphinwyo

Read a lot of posts - figured out the precruise transportation - now need help figuring out the return to airport...

1) rent a car (have DH pick it up 2 miles from port), drive to SNA, then have to check it in. Pros - only $30, cons - checking in/out rental car

2) Shuttle - how do you schedule this - time frame? Do they just wait out front, or do you have to have one reserved, how do you know which one is yours? Do they wait until full? No clue on how this works...

3) Taxi - I assume they are waiting outside terminal, how much for 4 to SNA from Carnival port?

Thanks for any advice. We usually just rent a car, nicer with kids, but since we are just going straight to the airport, not sure what to do.

Returning a car at SNA is easy; all the major companies are in the parking garage of the terminal. However, if you are not used to LA freeway traffic, I wouldn't make the trip on a weekday 630-900am or 330-630pm. Any other time or weekends will be fine! You should not have to pay a 1-way drop charge. Once you're on the road, it's a 40 minute drive from Carnival to SNA (I'm assuming from your signature you're on Carnival).

If you don't want to rent a car, I'd recommend a shuttle van. Taxis will be very expensive and only 1 company is licensed to drop passengers at the airport. (They could drop you off across the street at the Hilton and you simply walk the last 1/4 mile).

The airport website has a lot of good links: www.ocair.com Click on Ground Transportation in the center of the page.

Since most SNA passengers are flying on business for the day, the busiest times in the terminal are 530-8am and 7-11pm. Monday early mornings and Friday evenings are a zoo. Any other time, expect 30-45 minutes max from curbside to gate.

Thank you - I think we will do that then, wasn't sure how difficult that would be. It would be easier with the kids for sure, but have encountered hassles returning cars in various airports before. Glad to hear it is manageable. Most of our driving will be on Sat/Sun, so we should be good. My DH loves to drive - might be nerve wracking for me though. Thanks for your help!

Archived