What to Wear For VNP?

shaycamp21

We'll be there in out two weeks and just wondering if it's too cold for capris at VNP at this time of year or are we better off with jeans (will we also need a jacket?) Are there any other islands in the POAm itinerary that have cool conditions or are we ok with shorts?

We were there in June, and we were perfectly comfortable in shorts and T-shirts. It was quite warm. However, we took along jackets just in case it was cool or windy. We never needed them. I understand that it can be cool there sometimes, but I don't know that you'll need jeans anytime soon. Have a great visit! We loved VNP!

The only place where we needed long pants and a jacket was at the summit of Haleakala. It was VERY cool and windy. I even used a spare pair of (clean) socks on my hands as gloves, as my hands were freezing! Definitely worth the discomfort though.

Since we live here on the Hilo side of the Big Island we drive up to VNP quite often. Always think LAYERS....shorts and t-shirts to start (although I usually wear capris) and then a sweatshirt or light jacket. It can be chilly and breezy any time of the year. Just keep in mind that the main area of the park is at about 4,000 feet elevation. If you do drive down the Chain of Craters road....you will find the temperature much, much warmer at the end of that road which is at sea level. Sturdy shoes are a must.... tennis shoes are fine.

We love visiting our friends who live up in Volcano village. We always wear our warm clothes and hope that they have their wood-burning stove going!!

In May 2008, we all wore shorts to VNP and were fine.

The places we needed warm clothes were Haleakala and Waimea Canyon.

A good sweatshirt/jacket is always a good idea and you can tie it around your waist if you don't need it.

We were there July 22. We wore jeans and short sleeve shirts, but we generally wore our hooded sweatshirts, too. It was rainy and windy and rather cool. I used the rain poncho a couple of times. Special note that the wind at one of the lava fields on chain of craters road was so fierce I had a tough time getting my car door open. DD was on the leeward side of the car and she had no problem at all.

Archived