Blackberry Service

DesertDogs

I just received a Blackberry for work and need to know if it will work on the ship. I have Verizon service and we will be sailing on the Zaandam to Hawaii in October. I know it will work when we get to Hawaii, but will it work on board, and if so, will the roaming fees be the same as the cell phone fees of $2.49 a minute?

Thanks

I checked out the link but still not sure if it will work. I think the phone will work, but can I send and receive emails???

I have never used a Blackberry, so please bear with me. :o

Thanks

I checked out the link but still not sure if it will work. I think the phone will work, but can I send and receive emails???

I have never used a Blackberry, so please bear with me. :o

I am pretty sure that if you can make calls you can get email. :) If you can make calls, you have access to Verizon for text, email etc.

I have a global Blackberry, and you can indeed send and receive e-mails. You can set up 10 e-mail addresses on your phone - my husband added his addresses for the the time we were on the cruise. I have used my Blackberry all over Europe and in China. My daughter works for HAL and has used hers everywhere, too. It's much cheaper to use texts and e-mails because they are covered in the data plan. Phone calls do include roaming. I suggest that you add the global support number to your phone directory in case you have a problem - also take the instruction booklet with you! The only problen I have ever had is that the local Verizon store did not set up my Sim card correctly at first. I had to call global support from Rome but they talked me through how to do whatever needed doing to the phone, and it was just fine. Have fun!

I have T-Mobile, Global, Blackberry. I brought it on my last cruise and for the most part I was able to send and receive messages immediately. There was a time when we were a day off from port when the service was intermittent, I would go a few hours without any messages. From my experience, taking the Blackberry was really great, I was able to keep in touch with home and my work - every once in awhile it took a few hours to send/and receive, but for the most part, the service was great. My job picked up the bill, so I don't know what it cost. Don't forget your charger!!

I am pretty sure that if you can make calls you can get email.

unfortunately that's not always true...

in alaska two weeks ago (i have a blackberry through at&t) i barely got any voice service outside of the ports when i was standing on dry land and the data (email, messaging, internet) never worked...

i actually called at&t from two of the ports to complain and got reimbursed/prorated for those ten days...

just a heads up :)

I also have AT & T blackberry and when we cruised the Caribbean in April, 2007, I had it on all the time and always knew when we were close to a port because all my messages started coming in. My bill at work was pretty high, but that was I believe before the days of when you got a signal while at sea (at least I think people are talking about that now). We are cruising again in November and I'll be curious to see how things work and how much. If you find out, please post, I'd be interested in finding these things out too.

Have a great cruise.:D

I also have AT & T blackberry and when we cruised the Caribbean in April, 2007, I had it on all the time and always knew when we were close to a port because all my messages started coming in. My bill at work was pretty high, but that was I believe before the days of when you got a signal while at sea (at least I think people are talking about that now). We are cruising again in November and I'll be curious to see how things work and how much. If you find out, please post, I'd be interested in finding these things out too.

Have a great cruise.:D

I get the bill at work so I will be able to see what the charges are. I have Verizon so it may not be the same but I will post my experience with the Blackberry Service upon my return in early November.

Archived