Trip Report on Golden Princess

JimP

The following is an excerpt from my trip report on Golden Princess Oct 3-10:

St. Thomas – Your first day to clear immigration. Everyone on the ship has to pass by the inspectors in the Ship Theater between 8:30 and 9:30am. “No one could get off the ship until everyone had been cleared”. At 9:30 I was starting to get disturbed at the wait and I happened to look out to the dock and saw people getting off the ship. I called the pursers office and asked why people were being allowed off the ship; their response was that it was ok for me to get off the ship. We found out later that people who had booked tours through Princess were the first ones allowed off the ship. We took a taxi to Red Hook and the 10:00am ferry to St. John. What a delightful experience. St. John is beautiful. This would be a great place to take an all-day catamaran out of St. Thomas to St. John. Took an open air taxi to Trunk Beach. Should have brought our snorkel gear. (Next time). Walked on the beach, taxied to Cinnamon Beach, walked on the beach. At 10:30 people were streaming into Trunk but only two couples at Cinnamon. A person who is staying in St. Thomas on assignment told us the snorkeling at Cinnamon is not as good as Trunk but they go there because of the lesser crowds. We were going to take the other ferry back but due to schedule went back to Red Hook. Had lunch there at Molly McGee’s, an Irish pub that was quite good. Taxied back to town to shop. Taxi ride back took us to the overlook of the Bay where the Cruise ships are docked. Great picture of the Golden. Shopping in St. Thomas was much better than St. Maarten for us – much less high pressure selling.

Archived