Just Back from Holiday Inn Port of Miami (July 27)

royal girl

We stayed here the night of July 27 before taking the Majesty of the Seas cruise on the 28th.

When we pulled up to this hotel, there were a lot of shady people standing out in front... just like others had posted! Check-in was easy enough and the girl was pleasant. The hotel had a funny smell in the lobby... like too much air freshner or something. The elevators seemed really old too. The room itself was kinda yucky. The carpet was stained and worn. Outdated furniture. The inside room lock was broken. Bed sheets and bathroom did seem pretty clean though. I definately wouldn't stay here more than one night.

Across the street is the Bayside Market to keep you busy. Plenty of restaurants and bands playing by the harbor. We walked to Walgreens to pick up stuff we didn't carry on the plane with us (shampoo, etc.) It is about a ten minute walk from hotel. Not the greatest area to be walking in. I wouldn't walk it after dark.

Taxi's outside in the a.m. to take you to ship. We skipped breakfast and were at the ship by 10 a.m. But they don't let you inside the terminal until about 11 a.m.

All in all, for the price and location to the port, I guess I'd stay here again (for one night only). Then again, you get what you pay for! This is not the Ritz Carlton either!

What were the taxi charges from the airport and to the port? Thanks!

From the airport to the HI is about $24.00. From the HI to the port is about $10.00. I say "about" because with the fuel prices, things can go up at any time.

The Holiday Inn continues to maintain its higher than expected rates because of location. It's a known fact that it is not the best accomodations near the port.

Walking around the nearby area wasn't unsafe. The Walgreens is on a busy street and Biscayne is nice to walk along for views of the port. Just your basic big city. Just don't wander into the the city if you aren't familiar with the area.

eandj is correct about the prices... I paid $27 total with tip from airport to hotel, and $13 total to port from hotel inc. tip for the 3 of us.

The ride from the ship back to the airport is a flat rate of $25.50 plus tip. There are plenty of taxis waiting outside the cruise terminal.

Right around the hotel was fine to walk around esp by Bayside. The Marina was really pretty. I just would not venture too far away and there really wasn't anything else around there to see, other than Walgreens to get last minute stuff.

Hotel staff was very pleasant.

The Holiday Inn continues to maintain its higher than expected rates because of location. It's a known fact that it is not the best accomodations near the port.

Walking around the nearby area wasn't unsafe. The Walgreens is on a busy street and Biscayne is nice to walk along for views of the port. Just your basic big city. Just don't wander into the the city if you aren't familiar with the area.

I agree with you 100%.

The Intercontinental, the Hyatt Regency, The Hilton and the Marriott Biscayne Bay are all much nicer hotels in the area. My understanding, from reading other posts is that people are getting terrific rates at all of these hotels and both, the Intercontinental and the Hyatt Regency are within safe walking distance to Bayside Market Place, this is an area that is pretty safe due to it being a "tourist area", you will see heavy Miami police presence in this area, constantly patrolling and keeping it very safe, especially at night time.

Archived