transatlantic with a 3 year old

cclarke12

there seems to be lots of good prices on transatlantic cruises from Florida to Europe next April Has anyone had experience of doing a transatlantic with a young child? Looks like a great opportunity, but would lots of sea days and unpredictable weather a recipe for disaster? Thanks

I don't think it's a recipe for disaster, but it could be a bit more difficult for you. With so many sea days, there's no break for you or the child with port stops. If your child is potty trained, and can take part in the kid's club, that will be great. Rough seas are always a possibility on a crossing, but you can have rough seas on any cruise. There's a reason those crossings are so cheap, and that's because most people can't handle so many days at sea.

I've done it and loved it! My son, then, almost 3 and I went on a Trans-Atlantic cruise from FLL to Roma. He was not old enough to be dropped off at the kid's club, so I had to play/amuse him. Bring some new small toys, however your child is allowed in the kid's centre giving you some time off.

The sea days were very relaxing but the time change was hard.....almost every night we had to set the clocks forward one hour. At the end of it, we would be going to bed at midnight or later and missing out on breakfast completely!

The seas were not rough when we went in April, in fact they were surprisingly smooth. Naturally this is unpredictable. Take some children's gravol or ginger just in case.

Enjoy your cruise.

Archived