E-mail on HAL???

martinimadam

Unless you sign up for an account ($3.95) all you can do on the ship's computers (or your laptop) is go to the HAL or NYTimes sites. Nothing else - not even email. Once you have an account, you pay by the minute anytime you're logged on, whether you're visiting web sites or doing email. The per-minute cost is either $0.75, or $0.55 if you buy a 100 minute block, or $0.40 for a 250 minute block.

HAL says you can use a CruisE-mail account (composed of your name, cabin #, and shipname) but it is NOT a smart thing to do because EVERY email sent or received will cost $2.95 plus the connect time. Far better to set up some account such as yahoo or gmail if you don't already have one. Or, for most ISP's, you can use http://webmail.yourownISPname.com.

Is there a ship's e-mail system or do I have to use my own, e.g.., yahoo, etc., which I don't have!:confused: I don't want to have to sign up for internet use, just want to be able to send and receive e-mail. Does this make sense???

Yes, it makes sense. From the HAL web site:

"Holland America Line has even set up your very own CruisE-mail address for you to use. We also have an Internet Manager on board to assist you. There is a charge for these services.

Your CruisE-mail address:

Thanks for the responses.

What's an ISP? (I'm not terribly computer literate.:o )

Do they have any kind of word or wordperfect software so I can at least compose my e-mails "off line" and the cut and paste into the CruisE-mail? Guess I could revert to pen and paper if I have too. :eek:

Do they have any kind of word or wordperfect software so I can at least compose my e-mails "off line" and the cut and paste into the CruisE-mail? Guess I could revert to pen and paper if I have too. :eek:

I have to disagreee with what JTL said a bit. I am not aware of any connect charges (may be my oversight) per message. If you are planning to keep in touch on a regular basis (talking about what's going on, your day, etc.), rather than using this means as an emergency contact, either mechanism can become very expensive. If there is (I don't recall) a means of composing a message ahead of time, it's most likely notepad. One of the challenges of going with a web account is that most often, composing the response is something done on-line which burns up minutes very quickly. Having the ability to compose off-line is a definite advantage. With the HAL email, there is no on-line connection over the sat link, since the email is delivered to the ship's server, so composition does not incur a web connect charge according to my recollection. Since I use my notebook, my recall might be faulty, so please check with HAL directly.

An ISP is the internet service provider you use to get access to this place and wherever else you go on the web, as well as to an email account, assuming you access the web from your home. If you use public facilities, such as a library, then forget about ISPs.

ISP = Internet Service Provider: AOL, Comcast, Verizon, charter, etc.

You can only do things off-line if you have a laptop with you. Why not set up a yahoo/hotmail/AOL/etc account? They cost nothing, and you can simply stop using the account when you get off the ship.

I am not aware of any connect charges (may be my oversight) per message.
Sorry, Chuck it's not $2.95 per message sent or received via CruisE-mail. From the "Know Before You Go" booklet, page 36:

For those who do not have or cannot access their own email provider Holland America Line has set up each guest's own CruisE-mail address. A one-time activation fee of $3.95 applies to initiate e-mail and Internet services. There is an additional $3.95 per message fee when using CruisE-mail address. {sic} Guests can also ...

That's $3.95 per message sending OR receiving.

I would add that you should use whatever PC you normally use (relative's, Library, etc.), and set up a "hotmail" or an "yahoo" account. You can access these from the ship's computers once you sign up for useage on board.

[quote name='Lurker1;15745084

I would add that you should use whatever PC you normally use (relative's' date=' Library, etc.), and set up a "hotmail" or an "yahoo" account. You can access these from the ship's computers once you sign up for useage on board.[/color']

To follow-up; what that all means is you get on the internet through the ship's computer, connect to Yahoo, or Hotmail, etc., then you can log into your email account through those services more cheaply than by using the ship's email.

Archived