Legend/Seas..cruise 8/29 ..... ??re:wine tasting in Limassol, Cyprus

I found on a website that while we are at Limassol, Cyprus on Sept 3rd there is a wine festival going on. Did anyone else know this, that will be on same cruise??? It will be held in the Municipal Gardens

Anyone ever done this before in Limassol????? I am just curious how it works. :cool:

Don't miss strolling through the town of Lefkara! You will see silversmiths working in the buildings with the windows and shutters open, and ladies making the most beautiful lace you ever saw.

Also, there is a convent on the hill that is spectacular. They paint icons there and sell them as well.

I loved this island!! :)

Have fun!

P.S. I have tried to post a photo but I cannot at this time, so I googled the town of Lefkara so you could read about it's beauty....

The village of Pano Lefkara is famous not only for its unique architecture but also for its lace and silverwork. The world-famous Lefkara lace is embroidered on pure linen. Although colors may be found in antique pieces, today’s embroideries are done on natural color linen with white or light brown thread. Strolling along the narrow streets of the village, one may still come across women embroidering in front of their houses. The delicate and exquisite craftsmanship and unique designs of the genuine Lefkara lace make the handicrafts popular with visitors. Locally produced Turkish delights is another Lefkara product that is popular.

According to the legend, Leonardo da Vinci visited the village in 1481, and purchased a lace cloth for the main altar of the Milan Doumo. The Lefkaritika style was probably imported here in ancient times from Assyria . Much later, the Venetians brought it home, and set up their own lace industry on the island of Burano . In 1889 a local lace school was opened, and Lefkara lace regained much of its ancient renown.

There are several small old churches both inside the village and in the surroundings. Local women tend to them and visit to light a candle, among them the one on top of the hill above Lefkara. The climb to the top of the Sotira hill from the main road takes about half an hour on foot. On the top there is a magnificent view of the coast of Larnaca and Limassol to the south as well as the surrounding villages and the Troodos Mountains to the north.

A short distance to the southwest from Pano Lefkara through the village of Kato Drys one finds the Monastery of Aghios Minas, run solely by nuns. A shop in the monastery offers the visitor the opportunity to purchase their own products, such as icons, fruit preserves, pure honey etc. Further down the hills is the Choirokitia site, one of the oldest neolithic settlements in the Eastern Mediterranean .

Archived