Land tour question

Diggerdon

We are planning a trip to Alaska and are trying to figure out our land portion of the trip. Last time we did a cruisetour thru Princess but now we are thinking about doing the land portion on our own. We will have 8 to 12 people this time and we thought about flying in to Anchorage and renting some vans. We would like to go to Kenai, Denali, and Fairbanks before returning the vans to Anchorage and taking the train to Whitter. I would like to know how many days for this land tour. We want to spend enough time at each location to make it worth going. I didnt know whether for this many people if just going thru the cruise line might not be just as easy. I would also be concerned about all the luggage that we would be hauling around, since going thru Princess all the luggage for the cruise would be out of our way.

There are also private tour companies to perhaps consider?? A ship cruisetour would be my last choice.

For clairfication, with your "Kenai" reference, I am clear you are not referring to the city- on the Cook Inlet but the peninsula?? With that are you looking at more than Seward and would like also Homer??

As a guideline, For a loop to Seward/Denali Park and Fairbanks, allow 8-10 days. Considering 2 in each, plus transit days and overnights in Anchorage. If you want to include Homer, add 2 more. Depending on the final routing, it can be fine tuned for perhaps a shorter time frame, but I am always one to recommend time here rather than marathon trips that some people plan too tightly and something is bound to happen to slow them up.

Another option, depending on the group, are RV rentals. Works out great with groups.

I guess, I am just a jaded traveler, and the luggage "thing" I see over and over, I just do not get. For me, it's a factor of travel, not my priority for touring choices and to have it "taken care of". :) I have gotten into some habits that just work for me, doing laundry and cutting down on bulk is one. The other, is I don't haul my bags unnecessarily. For a single night, I put what I need, one change of clothes in my Walmart bag and carry it in. :) Do it again the next the night if needed. :)

We are planning a trip to Alaska and are trying to figure out our land portion of the trip. Last time we did a cruisetour thru Princess but now we are thinking about doing the land portion on our own. We will have 8 to 12 people this time and we thought about flying in to Anchorage and renting some vans. We would like to go to Kenai, Denali, and Fairbanks before returning the vans to Anchorage and taking the train to Whitter. I would like to know how many days for this land tour. We want to spend enough time at each location to make it worth going. I didnt know whether for this many people if just going thru the cruise line might not be just as easy. I would also be concerned about all the luggage that we would be hauling around, since going thru Princess all the luggage for the cruise would be out of our way.

Click on the link to my 2007 Alaska trip review for some ideas of time needed, except for Fairbanks - we did not go there.

Our 2007 itinerary worked very well for us - we had enough time in each place and we were never "rushed."

Archived