Greetings Live from Queen Victoria August 13-25

CruisinGerman

Dear friends:

Currently aboard Queen Victoria in Queens Grill category Mediterranean cruise August 13-25.

Please feel free to ask any questions.

General impressions:

Accommodations fine. Housekeeping needs some improvement.

Grill cuisine and service excellent.

Service on ship in general acceptable to mediocre.

We are greatly noticing the globalization of cruising and cruiselines. The only thing Cunard and British about the ship seems to be the Captain, the Wedgwood china and Sheffield cutlery, and the gallery of memorabilia showing the grand oceanliners of the past. Apart from the above, you could close your eyes and think you were on Princess, Holland America or any other major cruise line. In fact, most of the staff seems to have worked at one time or another on one of the above lines, i.e. the Carnivalization of cruising.

Internet hasn't worked or has been slow since the cruise began. Purser acknowledges system is bad and there is a company onboard trying to put things right. This ship, although new, doesn't have the Seamobile service -- which may be a blessing for some but for me is quite an inconvenience. Yesterday there was a whole line of people complaining about the Internet.

Weather very sunny and hot -- ports have been very nice.

Having a nice time.

Happy cruising --

Gunther and Uta

Thanks so much for taking the time to post; my wife and I will be aboard next month. You would make us SO happy if you could confirm that smoking is not allowed anywhere on the Grills Terraces. I would be even happier if you tell me that no "musak" is piped outdoors on the Grills Terraces!

Thanks again,

CruiserTed

Thanks so much for taking the time to post; my wife and I will be aboard next month. You would make us SO happy if you could confirm that smoking is not allowed anywhere on the Grills Terraces. I would be even happier if you tell me that no "musak" is piped outdoors on the Grills Terraces!

Thanks again,

CruiserTed

We just got off the QV on Wednesday. We actually had a fantastic time, although the internet was either slow or down most of the voyage. There was no smoking on the Grills Terrace, I don't know if this was by design or just that there were no smokers on board. I certainly didn't see any ashtrays up there. There was also no piped music or annoying announcements about bingo or art auctions which was a real pleasure. They do play music as you are sailing away, but on our trip this was always music appropriate to the port, and I really liked it!

Enjoy your voyage! I wish I was back on board and not at work!

is an Italian gentleman named Giuseppe Gelmini.

Today we were in Mykonos. Much too short (only morning call). We would have preferred skipping Katakalon yesterday and spending the whole day here in Mykonos.

Ships in port with us besides Queen Victoria -- Seabourn and Ibero Cruises

All of which are owned by Carnival!

Happy cruising!

Kind regards,

Gunther and Uta

Guest Anorak33

OP mentioned silverware(flatware, cutlery) in dining room being Sheffield - in PG last week on QE2 we noticed it was Oneida................. and very nice too.

Dear friends:

Currently aboard Queen Victoria in Queens Grill category Mediterranean cruise August 13-25.

Please feel free to ask any questions.

"Housekeeping needs some improvement."

"Service on ship in general acceptable to mediocre."

Could you expand on these comments please.

Also what grade Queen's Grill were you in, and how good was the in-cabin dining?

Thank you for your other incisive comments

Dear friends:

A glorious day at sea today.

Housekeeping is spotty. Bathrobes not replaced. Sometimes toiletries not replaced. Balcony deck and furniture not washed regularly. Deck gets covered with ashes from smokestack several times a day.

Air-conditioning not very well regulated. Sometimes it is freezing in room -- sometimes it is too hot.

Furniture in slight disrepair. An Arab Prince occupied the suite last cruise and reportedly treated it very poorly.

In-room dining is fine.

Service in general is okay, just not experiencing the wow effect and attention to detail that should have been provided with this cabin.

We are in a Q1 suite.

Kind regards,

Gunther and Uta

Archived