Current Weather Alaska

TWO4THESEA

10 day forecast for Anchorage 59-52 daytime & 49-47 nighttime.

Denali 61-51 daytime,,,45-41 nighttime.

Fairbanks 65-62 Sunday thru Thurs. and 58-56 Friday -Mon.

40's at night.

This is 10 day forecast & of course can change.

I have a question about the Camp Dry you said you sprayed on your jeans - does it leave an icky feeling on the fabric? If so, does it go away in the wash?

It seems like a great idea to spray your pants with waterproofing silicon, I was just wondering if there are any lasting effects to your clothes.

We cruised 7/26-8/2 and spent 11 days in a rental car seeing AK our way. We had sun 5 times. Once in Juneau after Harv and Marv, they had 27 days of rain in July. Shined in Skagway for awhile, and when we got to the Yukon. Not again till Girdwood for the Glacier Jet Boat, then it snowed on the way back in! Sun was out 8/9 in Copper River and on the 10th., onthe 11th. we went to Kenai Princess and it was mostly sunny, sat on the deck and had dinner after we got there. But otherwise, rainy, cloudy, damp, cool, and none of it stopped us from our plans or having a great time! We had water resistant jackets, fleece lined and they were plenty. But, at El Dorado mine I was so cold in he rain I put on a $.99 poncho and that kept the heat in and the rain out, but my feet were cold. We were told on 8/2 that winter was predicted in 2 weeks, so be prepared! We would do it the same way again in a heart beat. Alaska is much more then special!!! No matter what the weather.

We got back a week ago from a 6-day land tour, followed by a 7-day cruise. The weather was quite varied: light rain/drizzle (Fairbanks, Juneau, Denali, Hubbard Glacier), cloudy/cool (Anchorage, Fairbanks, Seward), cloudy/warm"ish" (Talkeetna, Skagway, Icy Strait), and warm (Ketchikan, Talkeetna, Alyeska). Nights aboard the ship were usually quite cool, and often damp.

Several locals and tour operators told us that Alaska has been having the 4th coldest summer on record.

I just returned on Friday from 12 day cruise tour - we had rain almost every day and got quite chilly. We were told it is the 2nd coldest and rainiest summer in alaska history. Be prepared with proper clothing and rain gear including rain pants. We had a wonderful time dispite the rain and didn't stop any of our activities - your're there and just go for it.

I have a question about the Camp Dry you said you sprayed on your jeans - does it leave an icky feeling on the fabric? If so, does it go away in the wash?

It seems like a great idea to spray your pants with waterproofing silicon, I was just wondering if there are any lasting effects to your clothes.

I have two pair of jeans sprayed for our trip (we leave tomorrow!) and I can't really tell the difference between them and the one pair that I did NOT spray.

I have two pair of jeans sprayed for our trip (we leave tomorrow!) and I can't really tell the difference between them and the one pair that I did NOT spray.

Thanks, this is really helpful. I would like to spray our jeans with something, but I spend quite a bit on jeans when I find a pair I like and I'd hate to ruin a pair by spraying them.

Also to the OP looking for waterproofing spray- check at a sporting or camping goods store like REI or Academy. Maybe also at hunting stores like Outdoor World/Bass Pro Shops.

I'm sure you can also find it online.

Waterproofing jeans? Never heard of such a thing. Does it actually work? Does it make the jeans feel any differently afterwards? I wouldn't want to ruin a pair of jeans just so I could attempt to stay dry for a week. Why not just purchase some cheap rain pants?

We just got back from the Serenade 8/9-8/16. Very overcast weather, very little sun. Highs probably in the upper 50s. Total downpour one day. A tour operator told us that it's the coldest summer in years. He said that they "had summer for about 7 days in May when it was 75 degrees". That's it. Leave the sunscreen at home!

Seattle's finest gives you the weather forecast, maps, current conditions, links etc. for the Alaska cruise routes - even the northern lights forecast. We B cool:

http://www.komonews.com/news/content/7557007.html

Lots of layers (top one waterproof) and the right attitude ("rain, what rain?" =^-^=) and you'll have a guaranteed good time.

Enjoy!

HCBI

Hi.

I have been following all the posts ... and I was in Alaska last summer, although it was sunny most of the time ... and now I am leaving for Denali August 23rd and getting on the ship at Seward on August 29th to sail to Vancouver. I have layers. I have a fleece vest, a fleece jacket, and a London Fog rain jacket. (Problem is I am not sure if it is really for rain. Are all London Fogs with zip out lining and hood made for rain? Stupid question, I know.)

My question: Instead of buying rain pants which I will never wear again, most likely, I found my old yellow rain slicker ... no hood, heavy, cordoroy collar and cuffs ... which goes down to almost the floor. Should I take that as well? It eliminates the need for rain pants, only the bottoms stick out at all, and I can wear fleece under it ... but it is a little heavy and I was planning on the London Fog as well for light rain, etc.

I would appreciate some thoughts. It would surely protect me from rain quite nicely.

Thanks,

fern

fernem, I think you'd be fine with the rain slicker. Noticed a family wearing matching slickers that went down below the knees. I had a waterproof LL Bean jacket on that kept me quite dry, but unfortunately no rain pants and I got pretty wet. Even dumber was the fact that in my backpack, I was carrying both a disposable $1 poncho AND an umbrella. We just forgot we had them!

Can't answer the question about the rain forecast, but I guess rain is rain. It can rain all day, or it can rain for just an hour. We had some pretty steady rain for at least several hours in Skagway and a bit in Icy Strait Point as well.

Archived