Alternative to HAL Puerto Limon tours?

grandmaR

HAL has only two tours listed for our Puerto Limon stop

Costa Rica Jungle Kayak Adventure - 5 hours and listed as moderate activity and

San Jose - also moderate activity

I don't want to do either one of those things. I want to go to Tortugero. Can I do that?

We did a tour from Limon a couple of years ago to the country-side, a banana plantation, and a canal trip with Oscar Brown. It was a great tour...cost about $45USD + tip...lasted abour 4 or 4 1/2 hours.

Also at the very back/top of the dock area just inside the security fence is a wonderful local artisans market that is a, 'do not miss'!!! We found all kinds of great stuff including top-grade Costa Rican coffee for $5.00 a pound!!

You can find Oscar Brown on his website through Google.

There is anopther fellow...who's name I can't remember who is also spoken highly of by people who have taken his tours!

;) Hello...

We were in Puerto Limon in February and I wanted to go to Tortuguero as well.

I checked with a local Central American tour company which I've used for private tours before. I was told that to get all the way up the Tortuguero Canal (without a speedboat which scares the animals and defeats the purpose) takes four hours each way and would not be practical in my ten hour window.

I was on Azamara and they offered a trip on an old banana train through some lovely countryside to a river where we boarded and saw many of the animals we would have seen in Tortuguero. It was a covered boat, very comfortable and we did see sloths, monkey's, tons of birdlife and beautiful scenery...plants and trees. I don't usually do ship's tours, but this one was very nice.

I have a feeling that this trip would be offered in port as everyone we were with enjoyed it quite a lot.

Perhaps someone on this board has done this trip independently?

Good luck!

murphysmum

• 2 weeks later...

We will probably do a private tour in Puerto Limon, but if you'd rather go through HAL, they just posted many more Costa Rica excursions, including one to Tortuguero, for our cruise yesterday -- you may want to check again to see if the same is true for your sailing.

Archived