Security Problem in NYC

WhozyerMAMA

Just came back yesterday on Legend. Cruise was great! The terminal at NYC is a stinker- but here is something that you need to keep the eyes open for:

While on land in NYC and PAST the security checkpoint before going onboard, we lined up for our Sign and Sail card. All of the reps were very helpful. All were using wireless laptops with attached card swipers for gathering credit card information. I remarked to my wife how wonderful it was to see updated technology for checking in. I did see someone setting on the side with his laptop lid up and doing nothing (not unusual for a terminal of any kind).

This was my Dad's first cruise. He starts chemotherapy next month.

Three days into the cruise he gets a letter from the purser. My Dad's account was frozen. We used the ship's facility at the purser desk to make a call to the credit card company, and it seems that on the 15th of October (while we were in the Atlantic) someone using his credit card began to purchase computer equipment from Dell. With all of that new technology and the laptops, someone very close to the Sign and Sail desk skimmed his credit card number from the wonderful wireless computer technology. We still wonder who that man was setting on the side with a laptop was (I was not the only one to notice him).... The port is run by P&O Shipping and someone had to let him behind the security line. Can you imagine how much credit card information can be stolen from 2800 guests in 2 hours of check-in? Wireless LAN technology only has an effective range of less than 100 feet, so they had to be very close.

I said that to say this... before we left, we called the credit card company for him and let them know where we were going to be and on what days, and to refuse any credit transaction than at those locations. Several years ago on an early cruise, my wife and I learned that if the credit card company is vigilant they will catch these things and it is good to call before cruising so that they do not think that your offshore transaction (while legitimate on the cruise) is the use of a stolen number.

Also- take a backup credit card if you can in case this happens to you.

Mike & Betty

Fantasy 1997

Destiny

Ecstacy

Destiny

Victory

Legend

Paradise

Legend 2004

Yes. The credit card company did a great job and was very aware. It did stink that it happened in the first place- Carnival should be more diligent about the wireless network.

The total charges on the 15th were around $2500.00. If we had not called and the file not have had an additional notation on it, we may have had a problem- but a call to the credit card comapny before the cruise averted a big problem. Still- it was a lot of stress for my dad to deal with (the Mrs. tied up the loose ends with the credit people and the purser). It helped to have an additional credit card handy.

Betty's Husband*

*That's what I am usually known by. She is a good planner- I just show up and enjoy the benefits.

Thanks for the heads up. Our Pre-cruise hotel in Miami just hit my card for 2 rooms. We do not cruise until December. I called them the said they had made a mistake in my reservations and would refund the amount. I then made new reservations for the correct night. I then called my credit card company, and the wonderful rep there noted that this was supposed to be a pre -cruie hotel and, made the proper notations in our account.

Your story makes great points.

1) Notify the credit company of your travel plans

2) Carry back up

My point chech and re check your reservations!

Archived