Mr Barbados - questions for Bridgetown

ruetundra

Hi Mr Barbados,

Last year you helped me customize a taxi island tour. It was GREAT!! This year we want to do alot less and tour the town of Bridgetown. I have searched the internet and read books and can't find much except the following items.

Queens Park

the museum of Barbados

Pelican Village

I know there must me more in town then this. How large is Bridgetown? and can you walk from place to place? What else is there to do? Churches, Govt Buildings?

Thanks Much!!

ps...Bathesba and St Johns Church was the best along with the windmill last year!!

So glad that you had a good time last year! St. John’s Church and Bathsheba are my favorite places on the island, too.

As for Bridgetown…

Bridgetown proper, located in the parish of St. Michael is about 1.2 square miles in area. It has a population of about 133, 000 people.

I would consider it walkable, however the shuttle that runs often will wisk you from on side to the other for US$1.00.

The main attractions that are in B-town proper are: The Barbados Synagogue, The Careenage, National Heroes Square, Parliament Buildings, Queen’s Park, and St. Michael’s Cathedral. The main shopping and principal thoroughfare is on Broadstreet.

Although outside of B-town proper, The Barbados Museum on Hwy 7 is worth a visit. It’s about a mile, or so, walk from the ship.

I would procure a map from the Tourist Center at the pier, these spots of interest should be marked and start your adventure.

Another possibility is to hop a city bus for US$.75 and just ride it to the end and back. It’s a great way to see the island inexpensively and you can stop whenever you wish. Another bus will come by within ½ hour to take you forward, or back. You could ride it to the Museum on the south side and walk back north to B-town and check out the attractions with ½ the effort.

If you want information, or photos of any of the B-town attractions please let me know and I’ll try and help.

Again, I hope your 2nd visit proves to be as wonderful as your first! :)

Archived