Dubai

avewal4

Hi, we are briefly stopping over in Dubai on our way from Australia to Istanbul. We are doing a tour taking in the Burj Al Arab (sail hotel) the Mall of the Emirates ( with its indoor ski slope), the gold souk, an abra ride across Dubai creek, old Dubai area, Jumerah Mosque and Museum. There is a hop on hop off Big Bus tour if you are interested with English commentary - just google Big Bus tour Dubai for details.

If you want , you could post your question on the Tripadvisor Dubai Forum. There is a wealth of information there from locals and people who are very familiar with Dubai. I found it very useful. As you are spending some time you will be able to do a lot. There is a very popular 4 Wheel Drive tour to the desert with dinner and entertainment / camel rides that is very highly spoken of.

Hope you have a great time,

Aussiecruzer.

• 3 weeks later...
My son lives in Dubai and I will be going to visit him for ten days in January. What do I need to know, and what should I see?

PP's suggestions are all great.

The gold souk is great. The Gold Festival is during January/February, so depending on when you go, you might be there for some of the sales and festivities.

The spice souk is not too far from the gold souk - definitely worth a wander and a smell!

Take a water taxi to get from place to place - so fun. Some of them will do private tours down to where the flamingos are.

We also did a sunset tour on a dinner boat in the creek - amazing.

If they have any while you are there, go to the Camel Races! Most of the middle east uses robots to ride the camels now.

The shopping is everywhere, and is completely unparalleled.

Above all, eat some great middle eastern food! Get some grilled halloumi (cheese), and just ask for a "mixed grill" for the main course, for however many people there are. It probably won't be on the menu, but they will always do it. Remember to order to share with the table - the "american" way of ordering one plate per diner does not fit well with the amazing variety of foods available.

And Have Fun!

Archived