Anyone cruised on Mariner very recently?

SeaBreezy

We are considering the Mariner of the Seas, Western Caribbean, but am concerned about Jamaica and Grand Cayman after Ivan. Can someone give us some feedback on the condition of those two islands having cruised them since the hurricane? Also, what about Labadee? Any information regarding this ship/itenarary would be very appreciated! Thanks:p

I have a co-worker who was on the Mariner the previous Western week. She said there was no stop at GC, there was an extra sea day. Labadee and Jamaica were in good shape! From the board I gather ships will return to GC sometime in November.

My turn on the Mariner is next May, and I'm sure they will have it all spiffy by then! :)

Jacquelyn :D

Returned from 10-10 sailing and saw no damage in Ocho Rios. The biggest affect was the amount of water flow at Dunn's River Falls as it was much greater this year than last year. Saw more damage in Florida. Grand Cayman was bypassed as mentioned by jacquelyn11, but the extra sea day was nice. Got our snorkeling in at Cozumel with Eagle Ray Divers.

Labadee was not affected at all. Seems that the issues in Haiti were man made. When you sail by the island, you will see bare patches on the hills and mountains. This is where the desperate Haitians have stripped the hillsides of trees in order to use them for fuel. The denuding of the hills caused massive landslides during the heavy rains of Jeanne in the valleys. The hills in the immediate vicinity of Labadee appear lush and full of growth. The beaches and surrounding waters were beautiful and pristine.

We were on the Mariner week of Sept 13 and were the first ship back in Ocho Rios after Ivan blew through. Power was still out pretty much everywhere, shops were open but dark. I'm sure that's been repaired by now. A few branches down but nothing more. I didn't even think the falls had any more water than before. We did miss Grand Cayman and our Captain told us it would be several months-even lost the tenders. We were on Labadee after Ivan but just a few days before Jeanne. Everything was normal at that point and from my understanding Jeanne's rains effected parts of Haiti that are quite a distance from Labadee.

Archived