Help! Anything in Martha's?

labmom

We will be in Martha's vineyard on a Monday for about 8 hours:eek: What is there to do? I have a husband that doesn't like to "just lay around" NCL isn't the smartest cruise line, we have only 5 hours in Boston but 8 in Martha's. There's just so much time we can spend on looking for the cross at the Chapaquidik (spelling?) bridge:rolleyes: Sorry, that's the only thing I know of Martha's vineyard. Someone please help me on this. Should we take a ferry to the main land? Any help would be much appreciated!

Happy cruising, Pam

Martha's Vineyard is lovely, but you will have to get a good map and do some research to make the best day of it. Will you be there after Labor Day? If so, the summer tourists will be gone.

Apparently, the ship will dock offshore and you will be tendered to Oak Bluffs. You may want to consider renting a car so that you can drive all over the island. If that is not an option here is the bus web site http://www.vineyardtransit.com/Pages/VTA_Maps/routemapb. I'd advise going into Edgartown and wandering around the shops. If it is nice, you can go to South Beach from there as well (I think there is a trolley, but who knows after Labor Day). Oak Bluffs will also have bike rentals.

One reason to rent a car is to drive to the Gay Head, the far western end of the island. I don't know what kind of excursions the ship offers, but I think you would have more fun on your own. During the summer months the traffic can be awful, but after Labor Day there will be no problem.

I too would rent a car to cruise the island. If that is not feasable there are tour busses in port that will take you around. Eight hrs is a lot of time. Like you said the times should have been reversed with Boston. You will enjoy the island anyway.

This is what I thought of too! My husband would never take the bus so the rental car is really the way to go. I'll be there Oct 6th, I unfortunatly have an artificial leg so going into the water would be out and since we're from AZ I think the water would be cold for us! Even NCL only has a bus tour and I think for the 3 of us, the rental car is the way to go. If my husband wasn't there my mom and I could find anything to do:) I just don't think I can get him over the balcony the night before:rolleyes:

Thanks again so much for the imput!

Happy cruising, Pam

Hi there,

MV just happens to be my home. My mother has used budget a couple of times when she has come to visit. The best thing to do would be to call them directly see if they have any shoulder season weekday discounts. You want the one in Oak Bluffs. THat's where you'll tender to. The budget is right there where you disembark. Also for more info try the chamber of commerce web site http://www.mvy.com . If you have any questions please feel free to ask. October is really one of the prettiest months here.

Kristy

labmom

If you don't do anything else in MV, enjoy all the DOGS - have been to MV many times (not on a cruise) but you can easily take a bus from Oak Bluffs to Edgartown and walk around, enjoy the small beach, a chowder, a beer at The News and just the ambience....no place better....and really enjoy that it is a place that everyone really loves their dogs and their dogs are welcome......

• 2 weeks later...

Archived