Caribbean/Hurricanes

Hi there:)

I know there have been a couple of questions on recent threads about when is the best/worst time to cruise in the Caribbean.

I've just found a site on Cruise Critic about this subject and it says that hurricane season can generally run from June to November. Obviously this is a guide only and I know that on one of the Hurricane Cruising Forums people have said they go in September as it is a lot cheaper and the chances of a hurricane are going to be a bit hit and miss.

We've booked for March 2009 on Destiny so hopefully we will have some nice weather.

Just thought this might help a bit with those wondering when to go.

Smiffy1951

Janet:cool:

Hi Smiffy,I wonder if anyone has been in Sep,I was thinking of booking for that time of month or even Dec,if anyone has,plz let me know what it was like:)

Oh before I forget,are they plenty of coat hangers on the Destiny?Dont want to have a lot of creased clothes after Ive ironed them just before going in suitcase.

We'll be on the repositioning cruise to Dominica on 7 Dec 08. From other web site's I've read it appears that from Dec onwards is ok and if you look at other cruise line itineries they all start in Dec so can't be too much of a threat :eek:

Think it was late 60's when I last got caught in the tailend of a hurricane, t'was different that's for sure !

Will let you all know if the sun does shine, gotta be better than the UK whatever ;)

Hi Zetarose:)

There are quite a lot of hangers on the Destiny. They are the strong wooden type with the the bit across the bottom ideal for trousers. I found I had to hang a few things on each hanger as there isn't very much drawer space, and by the time you've put your underwear in them there isn't much room for anything else.

Swerve:)

December usually looks okay for the Caribbean so you should have some lovely weather. Are you going on the Thomson Destiny or another Cruise Line? Were you on a cruise when you got caught up in the last hurricane?

Smiffy1951

Janet:rolleyes:

Hi,thanks for info on coat hangers,phew,dont have to pack any to add more extra weight!

Im seriously considering booking a cruise for Dec next year,havent even been on my first cruise yet :D Will give me chance to save and make sure I can pay for it,plus will be able to save some spending money along the way.

Swerve:)

December usually looks okay for the Caribbean so you should have some lovely weather. Are you going on the Thomson Destiny or another Cruise Line? Were you on a cruise when you got caught up in the last hurricane?

Hi Janet,

Apologies for not replying sooner, been catching up on home time.

Yes we're on the Destiny's Tropical Transatlantic sailing from Lisbon on 7 Dec o8. Mrs Swerve has a laugh at me every sunday when I remind her of how many weeks to go. We're really looking forward to relaxing for the 6 days at sea before hitting the islands :D

I was about 18 or 19yrs of age (1967/8) and in the Merchant Navy sailing on a liquid fuel tanker from the UK to Lake Charles, New Orleans. She wasn't a big ship by any means and reportedly carrying napalm for the Americans !!! We were heading for the Gulf of Mexico when we caught the tail end of a hurricane, I seem to remember one of the Cunard Queens had also got caught (?).

It was all hands available to batton down and secure the ship. My vivid memory is laying on my bunk and the mattress sliding up and down between the bulkheads, oh how I remember being scared witless. There's a percentage of roll a ship can take before it turns turtle and I'm positive we came close several times.

My wife thinks choppy seas are great :rolleyes: and she doesn't fully understand my trepidation about them having also been caught in the Bay of Biscay once or twice :(

But, no bad weather's gonna spoil my holiday :D

Only 98 days to go, lol !

Hi Swerve:)

You've only got 97 days to go but we've still got 201!!!

Rather you than me with the choppy seas. First sign of that and I'm off to bed with a Sturegon tablet.

I'm not sure I could do 6 days at sea before seeing my first port of call. I like the one day after arrival but I think I would get a bit bored after that, I know my other half would. He doesn't like sunbathing very much so cruising suits us down to the ground. We like to be out and about seeing different places. Still everybody's different and have different likes and dislikes. It would be a bit boring if we were all the same - lol!!!

Looking at your previous Thomson cruises it looks like you done some similar itineries to us. We're starting to run out of options as I'm not too keen on sailing from the UK even though my other half would love to do the Baltic. Mind you I'm sure we can always find somewhere different to go if we look hard enough - we just love cruises.

Kepp counting the days, December will be with us before you know it:rolleyes:

Smiffy1951

Janet

I liked the items on the best time to cruise the Caribean.

I have booked to go during March 2009 and, was there during April last year.

April is a little quiet as it is at the end of the season or so The guides on Tortola told me.

For my March trip I will be flying out from Glasgow and doing a 2 week cruise.

Hi GM0NJl:)

Looks like your second week will be our first week. We are sailing on the 22nd March.

Might be quite nice if it's a bit quiet as there won't be too much queueing for things and not so many "tourists" - lol!!!

Just hope we've picked the right time of year for the weather.

Smiffy1951

Janet;)

Don't want to be the bearer of bad news but here are the expected visitors for that cruise;

Thomson Destiny - March 22, 2009 - Thomson Cruises

Date Port Other Ships in Port Pax load

3/22 Sun 1 La Romana, Dominican Republic 1,450

3/23 Mon At Sea

3/24 Tue 2 Grenada Summit 3,400

3/25 Wed 3 Dominica. Island Star, Vision of the Seas 5,760

3/26 Thu 4 Antigua Emerald Princess 4,570

3/27 Fri 5 St. Maarten, Netherlands Antilles Adventure of the Seas, Ocean Village 7,141

3/28 Sat 6 Tortola, British V.I. 1,450

3/29 Sun 7 La Romana, Dominican Republic 1,450

Ouch, St Maarten will be busy !

Wow, some big ships there:

Date Port Other Ships in Port Pax load

3/29 Sun 1 La Romana, 1,450

3/30 Mon At Sea

3/31 Tue 2 Barbados Caribbean Princess, Ocean Village 6,426

4/1 Wed 3 St. Lucia Caribbean Princess, Pacific Princess, Serenade of the Seas 7,759

4/2 Thu 4 Guadeloupe 1,450

4/3 Fri 5 St. Kitts Carnival Miracle 4,117

4/4 Sat 6 Tortola, Galaxy, Ocean Village 5,176

4/5 Sun 7 La Romana, 1,450

Archived