Tipping Private Guides

jsb9701

We have engaged private guides for day trips out of town in both Budapest and Prague. One will drive her car, the other tour will include a driver. I would appreciate guidance in determining appropriate tips for these people. I know tipping cruise ship employees and day guides has been discussed but I’m not clear about what to give private guides.

Thanks for your help.

Jean

Maggie Mae,

That’s what I thought, thanks for the confirmation.

A post on this board suggested making contact with Agnes Antal, one of a group of Budapest driver guides. Agnes was unable to guide the day we requested but referred us to one of her colleagues, Elisabeth Kovacs.

http://www.driverguides.hu

Rick Steves' Prague & The Czech Republic guidebook recommended Sarka Pelantova’s guide service, http://www.prague-guide.info/about/allguides.html . She also was booked but recommended one of her guides, Jana Kratka.

When we return I will post regarding our days with these guides. We have had excellent correspondence with both and expect to have fine experiences.

Jean

Jean

Thank you for the information - sounds like I should contact them as soon as possible. Looking forward to hearing what you have to say about them. Are you taking a river cruise or just visiting those areas? This is our first river cruise and can't read enough about them.

Maggie Mae,

We are taking the Amalegro from Budapest to Prague, the Sept. 11 tour with two days added in each city. This is just our second river cruise following a fine Viking Rhine tour two years ago. Our organized trips have been limited to very small group (2-15) birding and nature tours in Central or South America and Africa. We also really liked our two American Cruise Line trips in Maine and the New England Islands. We have never been on a large tour or cruise ship. We find the river cruises to be more suited to our ages at this time. I'm sure you will have a great trip and continue to enjoy traveling as long as you choose.

Jean

Archived