Deciding between Windstar Panama Canal transit versus Lisbon to Portugal

40cub

My husband and I took Windstar from Istanbul through the Greek isles many years ago and would like to try them again. We are having a hard time trying to decide between doing a Lisbon to Portugal cruise (7 days on Wind Star) versus the 14 day Panama Canal transit from Costa Rica to Barbados (on Wind Surf). Personally I don't do watersports (ie: scuba, snorkeling etc) and I really don't like creepy crawly animals so I'm wondering if the Costa Rica trip would not leave me with many fun options?! Any feedback? Additionally, since we cruised on Wind Star and not Wind Surf, is there anything we should be aware of between the two ships other than obvious size?

FYI - our most recent cruises were on Regent and Seabourn, the latter of which we found to be somewhat stuffy, but the former most enjoyable even though the ship was large in comparison.

Do you mean Barcelona to Lisbon?

We took the Barcelona to Lisbon cruise a couple of years ago and it was fantastic. For Costa Rica, if I recall correctly, there are numerous wet landings.

If you don't enjoy the "creepy crawly" animals and watersports, I would suggest you stick with the European cruises.

We did this cruise on the Windsurf a couple of years ago. It was wonderful. the ports were very interesting. We also loved the Istanbul to Athens cruise.We have done 5 Windstar cruises, on the Spirit and Surf. Surf is larger, and offers a spa and 2 restaurants. But all ships have the open bridge and casual atmosphere. Have not taken the Panama canal cruise on Windstar, but we did the Panama Canal cruise on Crystal (totally different, but fabulous). The transit through the canal is fascinating, Costa Rica is OK

We are booked on the Windsurf September 28, Venice to Rome.

We have always done cruises that offer more than several days at sea.

So, my choice would be the Panama Canal. We did this a couple years ago on the Wind Star, after which it was going to repo from Barbados to Lisbon. Our trip went along the coast of Costa-Rica, went through the canal and included several islands north of South America to Barbados.

1. Unless you ask for them, there are no creapy critters on this trip (excluding one obnoxious passenger). In Costa Rica I saw fewer bugs than I have seen in one day stay in Texas, but that again was because we wanted to and took a shore excursion throught the 'jungle'.

2. For the two week trip we had two 'wet-landings' at very interesting beaches. All others were at a dock or tender.

3. If you have not been through the Panama Canal before . . . .DO IT NOW.

For some details and what we found interesting go to the following web site: http://www.*****.com/panama

Archived