Windstar, Star Clipper or Sea Dream?

luvtodance

I have only cruised on big ships in the past (Princess). I am looking for something different for a Feb/March cruise to the Caribbean. What are the differences and/or similarities between these three lines? I am mid-forties and would be traveling with my husband. Thanks for any imput.

I have only cruised on big ships in the past (Princess). I am looking for something different for a Feb/March cruise to the Caribbean. What are the differences and/or similarities between these three lines? I am mid-forties and would be traveling with my husband. Thanks for any imput.

Sea Dream is significantly more expensive, Star Clipper much more informal.

It all depends on what you are looking for.

We have not sailed either of the other lines. Have looked into Sea Dream but decided it was not worth the extra cost and Star Clipper did not seem a good fit.

We have been on Windstar numerous times and were concerned about the line when ownership changed. For some time there were numerous negative reviews which concerned many of us. However, the boards have been very quiet lately, which I take as a very positive. People tend to post their problems and not the positives.

Cruised once on Seadream and many times on Windstar. The Seadream fare is inclusive of alcohol, but we could never drink enough, even if we did nothing else for 10 days, to make up the difference. We also found the Seadream and its crusiers a bit "stuffier" but, again, we only went once. In my mind, Windstar continues to be the best small boat line in the business and great value for the money.

We have sailed on Sea Dream once in the Caribbean and Windstar in Costa Rica. I frankly loved both cruise experiences and I would sail on both of them again.

Let me say first of all, no one else does Costa Rica like Windstar, so you can not compare that trip to the Caribbean or the Med , etc. It is a National Park, Wildlife Refuge, rain forest hike type trip. Some ports are somewhat third world but very interesting such as the stop in Nicaraugua. We were the only ship in every port we stopped in. Snorkeling is not good on the Pacific side of Costa Rica. But on 2 days out of our 7 we sailed under sail power only and it was fabulous! I highly reccomend this trip!

We did Sea Dream in the Caribbean and we are going to cruise with them again in January. Sea Dream has a max of 110 passengers. The crew is 90 or so. The service is OUTSTANDING! You feel so pampered and they know you by name very quickly. And with all that, there is no tipping so they aren't expecting anything because they are being nice to you. Of course very good house brands of liquor, wine, beer, and champagne are included as well as soft drinks, etc. Never saw a need to upgrade. You were always sent on shore with cold bottles of water and greeted at the tender dock with water, etc. You could also use their mountain bikes on some islands if you were not taking a shore excursion. On one island the Captain led a hike up to the top of the hill to an old Lighthouse where you had a fabulous view. When in some ports the water toys were available and snorkeling equipment was available for your use.

I can not give a location to location comparison between the 2 lines. But I will give you my other thoughts:

Service: Sea Dream Outstanding Windstar Good

Food: Sea Dream Outstanding Windstar Good

Water Toys: Sea Dream Very Good Windstar Fair

State Rooms: Sea Dream Very Good Windstar Very Good

Outside deck facilities: Sea Dream Very Good Windstar Fair

Hope this helps. I'll be glad to answer any other questions if I can.

Archived