How fake is the Palace of Knossos in Heraklion, Crete

People seem to rave about the Palace of Knossos in Crete. But evidently, Knossos was largely a pile of rubble before archaeologists "imaginatively" reconstructed it.

Just how much of Knossos is a reconstruction and how much is original? Is this akin to rebuilding a mansion burned to the ground, with only the foundation remaining?

I can't imagine Knossos can compare to a place like Ephesus. So, if Knossos is less impressive than reported, what are some other options for day trips out of Heraklion. Would love to go to the Samaria Gorge, but evidently that's only feasible when a port stop in Chania.

People seem to rave about the Palace of Knossos in Crete. But evidently, Knossos was largely a pile of rubble before archaeologists "imaginatively" reconstructed it.

Just how much of Knossos is a reconstruction and how much is original? Is this akin to rebuilding a mansion burned to the ground, with only the foundation remaining?

I can't imagine Knossos can compare to a place like Ephesus. So, if Knossos is less impressive than reported, what are some other options for day trips out of Heraklion. Would love to go to the Samaria Gorge, but evidently that's only feasible when a port stop in Chania.

Almost all ancient ruins have been reconstructed, including the Library of Celsus (among other buildings) at Ephesus, Luxor Temple in Egypt, and the Parthenon. When you are talking of a site that dates from at least 1500 BC, there would be precious little to see without some sort of reconstruction.

Depending on when the reconstruction was done, these may be more.....or sometimes less.....accurate. Unfortunately Evans (who reconstructed Knossos) has had his fair share of criticism.

I still think it's a pretty impressive ruin.

Thanks Alsa and CruiseMom. I'll probably give it a go.

One problem is that, since my cruise is a year out, RCL will not show me what excursions are available for my eastern med cruise.

Is there any way to get the excursions PDF so I have an idea generally of what is possible in a day from various ports?

One problem is that, since my cruise is a year out, RCL will not show me what excursions are available for my eastern med cruise.

Is there any way to get the excursions PDF so I have an idea generally of what is possible in a day from various ports?

With Princess you can browse the ports and see various shore excursions that are offered, with the understanding that not all of them may be offered on your particular cruise. Maybe on RCL you could select a 2008 itinerary similar to the one you are planning for 2009 and see if you can get the shore excursions for that -- at least you'd have an idea. Again, things can change in a year, so best not to get hooked on specific tours just yet....

If you keep reading these boards, you'll find many people get more out of a private tour, and in some ports you can do it on your own. Those sorts of things you can certainly plan ahead.

Archived