Total Novice, Solo, Where to go?

Sam75

Hello Everyone

I am going on my first cruise, solo, Mexican Riviera, this November on Oosterdam. Ports are Cabo, Puerto Vallera, and Mazatlan. I would like any advice on excursions.

I am not into water sports, but do enjoy good tours. The canopy tour looks interesting, but that is as much as I know. I am on a bit of a budget, and dont want to go through HAL, but I also want to make sure I get good value. I can be active enough, but prefer to absorb culture and to experience the unique.

If anyone would care to share their experience, here are my questions:

1. What are good excursions or tours or things I wont see anywhere else?

2. What are reputable sites to book through that can save money over HAL?

3. What else should I know?

Thank you :)....I have been haunting these boards and am very impressed with the willingness to help out a tenderfoot, so I am asking for any advice.

I have a MR folder that I save bits and pieces of information. Enclosed is my Cabo notes and I thank the cruisers that posted them.

Cabo San Lucas

Live from webcam from Cabo

http://www.livefromcabo.com/index.php?pg=2

Cabo Wabo

http://www.cabowabo.com/cwa/info.php?

We spend 2-4 weeks each year in Cabo and are leaving again on Thursday! Our favorite restaurant there is Solomon's Landing. It is also located on the marina but about a 5 minute walk from the tender dock. If you just follow the marina walk-way toward town, it will be on your left hand side just as the walkway makes a right turnat the Tesoro hotel. It is just past Captain Tonys.

Excellent food, especially the fresh fish, great prices and a great people watching spot especially since it is open air and located right on the marina walkway instead of indoors in a strip mall. We will be having dinner there on Thursday night!

Gordo Lele's is a great place to eat (on the sidewalk). It is very popular with the cabo forum regulars (timeshare owners for the most part) over at TripAdvisors.com (parent company of CruiseCritic).

This link will show you a map where I have centered Gordo Lele's right in the middle. It is around the corner from Siesta Suites Hotel. Another good place nearby is Salvatores (Italian). It is right next door to the Seista Suites. Also, the road behind it is Hidalgo (aka restaurent row). This is where Pancho's, Crazy Lobster, La Dolce, Mama's (in the morning)/Felix's (in the afternoon/evening) are all located. Also, anothr block back and behind the Town Square is Mi Casa.

If you go to Gordo Lele's, Javier will be glad to seranade you with a Beatles song, it's a lot of fun. There is also a store across the street that you can buy 3 for $1 beer to have with your meal. Javier won't mind at all.

For the squeemish, Gordo Lele's is not for you. It is a sidewalk stand. For those normal people, Gordo Lele's is a great place with outstanding Carne Asada Tacos, a couple of plastic chairs, and Javier (the 5th Beatle). Go and have a great time.

Here is the link to the map.

http://www.wikimapia.org/#lat=22.882...18&l=0&m=a&v=2

Hello Everyone

I am going on my first cruise, solo, Mexican Riviera, this November on Oosterdam. Ports are Cabo, Puerto Vallera, and Mazatlan. I would like any advice on excursions.

I am not into water sports, but do enjoy good tours. The canopy tour looks interesting, but that is as much as I know. I am on a bit of a budget, and dont want to go through HAL, but I also want to make sure I get good value. I can be active enough, but prefer to absorb culture and to experience the unique.

Thank you :)....I have been haunting these boards and am very impressed with the willingness to help out a tenderfoot, so I am asking for any advice.

We are booked with Randi's happy horses to do riding on the beach and lounge at Victor's after wards.You can search randishappyhorses.com

She is mazatlan and comes highly recommended by posters on CC.

Drink only things out of a bottle!!!!

I posted a question re Mazatlan on the HAL board, and EVERYONE recommended Mazatlan Frank. He has a website you can find if you google him. (We've decided to do the Concordia/Copala tour in Maz thru the ship, but Frank offers a bunch of different tours you may be interested in)

We've booked Mazatlan Frank for december $40 for a tour 9-3. He is very responsive to email and from what I hear you really get to see more with him. I've done ship tours in Mazatlan and there are fine but much more expensive.

A nice day in PV (if you dont want to do a ship tour) is to go into town for a few hours and then come back to the dock. Go to the Krystal Vallarta for the afternoon. They have good, reasonable food. A nice beach with minimal vendors, lounge chairs by the pool, you can get a massage, etc.

Cabo is pretty easy on your own. Get off the boat and take one of the boats tours over to Lands End - usually around $10. Then you can walk through town for a little shopping or there are many restaurants and bars all along the way. I havent been over to Medano Beach but hear it is easy to get a water taxi over and walk on the beach, rent any equipment or just people watch

if you want to spend on one tour - one of my favorites through the ships is in Puerto Vallarta. Its the all terrain mercedes vehicles that take you on a jungle hike. great time -

I just got back from Vallarta and went to Los Veranos Canopy, it was awesome to say the least. The staff is very well trained and never felt at risk even though we where over 150 feet in the air. There are 3 companies in Vallarta, not really sure the names, but many will post their recommendations.

Also loved a restaurant called Destillerias, close the the arches in the malecon; mariachi, good food, and saw last night the papantla flyers from the restaurant.

Hello Everyone

Whatever you do be sure to catch a boat around Land's End in Cabo. You can do it through the cruise line or just in the marina. It's a must see.

Tee

Archived