Crimean Discovery B - your hints and tips welcome!!

Hi All

We have just booked a cruise on the Calypso starting in Thessanoliki, going to Bulgaria, Sevastopol, Istanbul, Limnos. We leave on 29 Sept.

Does anyone have any hints for these ports, whether we can easily do our own thing etc?

Also, what kind of clothes will be needed for the sight-seeing. I'm thinking light trousers/capri pants with T-shirts, and a light jacket or cardigan just in case. Do you think we might get some decent weather - after the last few weeks in the UK much more rain might just be unbearable!;)

Thanks in anticipation!:)

End of September, from my experience it could be quite warm/hot during the day but you'd certainly need a cardi/fleece for the night if you're out on deck.

Normally the climate change is quite fast in the Med and the middle of October is the changeover from summer to winter(ish). I suspect that Bulgaria and Sevastopol may be chillier than the other ports of call.

I can't comment on the touristy bits for Bul & Sev as we've not done that itineray yet but for Istanbul be very careful of how you negotiate taxi fares, make sure you have a set price etc. I hope someone else comes along to offer you more advice here.

I hope you have great weather and a fantastic cruise.

Hi Pikachui:)

We did this cruise in July last year and it was absolutely fabulous. The weather was really hot and sunny.

We tend to do the ship's trips so not sure how easy it would be to do your own thing. If you get the chance the trip to Gallipoli is a must. It is a really moving experience. I'm not normally into war things but I thoroughly enjoyed it. The guide we had on the coach was excellent and made it really interesting. We went to a couple of places in the Ukraine, one which included a building like a rotunda all about the Crimea War and the Charge of the Light Brigade. It was all done in 3D which was really clever. Then we went to Balaklava. The ruins in Constanta (Romania) were a bit disappointing but the coastal resort we visited was nice and there was an indoor shopping centre, but if you are visiting here you could probably do your own thing quite easily.

Istanbul is really nice. We went to the Blue Mosque etc and also the Grand Bazaar which is a real eye opener.

Unfortunately can't comment on what the weather may be like at the end of September.

Hope this helps a bit.

Smiffy1951

Janet:rolleyes:

We have just booked a cruise on the Calypso starting in Thessanoliki, going to Bulgaria, Sevastopol, Istanbul, Limnos. We leave on 29 Sept.

Hurray!! So am I - plus husband and son!!!!

I have checked the excursions on the Thomson website for the ports which we will be visiting on this cruise. I think that the itinerary has changed a bit since you went on her, Smiffy, because Canakkale and Constanza have been dropped.

Although I am a self-confessed would-be travel agent, and enjoy visiting many countries independently and making my own itineraries for sightseeing, I have decided that, given the port times and the individual problems of the countries visited, that I will concentrate on using the ship's excursions :-

Nessebar (Bulgaria) - from what I have asked on many of the various cruising forums on the next, Calypso should be able to berth at the port itself and not use tenders. (It seems to be normal that people booked on ship's excursions get first go at tendering!) I looked at the Rough Guide to Bulgaria and I think that the historical centre is quite close, and as the walking tour only lasts an hour, I would think that it would be doable on foot oneself ....... and hope that vendors might accept Euros instead of Bulgarian leva for postcards etc. OK rip-off central, but that ALWAYS happens when cruise ships are in port -I witnessed this myself a few years ago in Dubrovnik ...... almost two-tier pricing once in the morning when there was a large cruise ship docked, and different - much lower - in the afternoon once the ship had gone.

Sevatopol - I favour the long tour including the Crimean war highlights ... there will probably be time to go into the town or to the Black Sea Fleet Performance in the afternoon ............. but 'all day' with no knowledge of Ukrainian, and the cyrillic alphabet sounds rather like a challenge I'm not ready for at the moment -it's been a horrible year!

Istanbul - I agree with what has been said about the taxis!! And make sure you have YTL with you if you decide to travel independently, because although Euros are accepted (! at a price!) Turkish Government monuments will only take YTL. I am going to do ship's tours and come back on a separate occasion for a detailled visit.

Lemnos/Limnos - when I booked in July, no excursions had been offered for this destination. This is no longer the case, and there are at least 4 on offer. I am considering hiring a car for the day and doing more of the island at my own pace ...... I would have taken a tour but don't want to be compulsorily dropped off at a beach for 3 hours ......... especially if it is raining!!

I too have my concerns about packing. I think Thessaloniki will be HOT (ie over 30 °C), but Sevastopol less so. Istanbul might be rather hot if you are exploring on foot. I have decided to take layers ............. but certainly a cardi for the ship's air-conditioning in the evenings!! However baggage allowance is a consideration!!!

I'd love to get in touch with you by pm (personal message) but you haven't left any contacts when you registered on this site. If you wanted to contact me on board (apart from the fact that I am short and fat with curly hair and a she!), I would not be embarrassed if you were to put out a tannoy call for 'Alsacienne'! But I do hope you will pm me beforehand using this site and we can have a chat!

Hi All

Does anyone have any hints for these ports, whether we can easily do our own thing etc?

Also, what kind of clothes will be needed for the sight-seeing. I'm thinking light trousers/capri pants with T-shirts, and a light jacket or cardigan just in case. Do you think we might get some decent weather - after the last few weeks in the UK much more rain might just be unbearable!;)

Thanks in anticipation!:)

We did this cruise in June this year and loved it....end of September the weather should still be good (I dont know about 30 in Thessaloniki as it is near the top end of Greece) but it should be very pleasant...I would take layers as it will get cooler as you go up through the Black Sea and quite choppy as you near Sevastopol...although we had a comfortable ride on a highish deck!! I usually take vest/strappy tops with a blouse to go over if necessary, with cropped trousers or skirts. Sevastopol we did an excursion to the Khans Palace and cave monastery which was a tad disappointing but interesting none the less. Nessebar in Bulgaria it is a short easy walk into the old town which was very interesting and had some nice little shops and cafes. Romania we went on a wine tasting tour just to see the countryside really...but not much to see it appears to be quite a poor country. Limnos was lovely and very easy to walk from the ship round the harbour and through the little winding streets to another bay with cafes on it. Istanbul was amazing sailing through at night on the way up, make sure you are on deck for that! then on the way back we did an excursion to the Blue Mosque, Topkapis palace and the Grand Bazaar ...if you do this don't get talked into the carpet demonstration it is a waste of time and it means you don't get long in the Grand Bazaar!!

WOW:D

Thank you so much to all of you for fab information and messages, it's all very helpful.

There are 4 of us going (me, DH and my parents) so we'd prefer not to be tied into too many organised trips (in Morocco last Autumn on such a trip we spent much of it in a body-shop toiletries type demo we didn't know was part of the deal,:confused: I can do that in Milton Keynes if I want!!). It sounds like I'm on the right lines on the clothes front. In March, we were on the Celebration round the Med, Rome, Pisa etc... and I wore the coat I travelled in non-stop. My pics look like I don't own any other clothes!!

Alsacienne, thank you for getting in touch and all the useful info - I will send you a pm!

Thanks again everyone. Will let you know how we enjoy the cruise. :) Pikachui

Hi all,

We are on the Calypso (Allegro Deck) from 22 September to 6 October (2 weeks B2B).

Anybody help with some answers please -

1) What adaptors do I need? Euro round pins or US flat pins? We have been on several Thomson Boats and I always seem to take the wrong one - I know I can always take both but ....

2) The brochure says two sittings and a gala night but the TA says on his screen it is open seating for dinner and I do not need to take a tie as no gala night - any info please?

3) Euros for Greece and probably for Istanbul but what, for in Bulgaria or Romania (wherever Captain plans to stop) and for Sevastopol (assuming the Ruskies let us park there)?

4) Wardrobe space - is it best to use the hard shell cases (they are the best for the bottles to come back in) or collapsable ones - do the hard shells fit the wardrobe , go under the bed or do I trip over them all week?

Any other tips welcome.

Silver :cool: (I am looking for some sunshine !!)

Hi Mike and Kay

My chance to crash your site, we did the Calypso a year last Easter, around the Eastern Med, the plugs were continental round pin and the cases went under the beds. We had a cabin on A deck ( I think) the top of the ship at the frount. We had 2 sittings for dinner. The entertainment was excellant.

Andrea

Hello Silver Smurfer!

I'm looking forward to meeting you on 29 September! I've also had some questions recently and based on what I have learned from Thomsons, let me pass on what I was told (I have to ring them directly because I don't live in the UK):

1) What adaptors do I need? Euro round pins or US flat pins? We have been on several Thomson Boats and I always seem to take the wrong one - I know I can always take both but ....

I understand that the Calypso has FLAT PIN plugs - US plugs.

2) The brochure says two sittings and a gala night but the TA says on his screen it is open seating for dinner and I do not need to take a tie as no gala night - any info please?

DH and I are booked on the late sitting, and my son only joined us on Monday for our booking. Apparently the late sitting (for 29 Sep) is full and according to the person I spoke to, there isn't an early sitting available. That is Gobbledegook and I understand that we need to speak to the Maitre d'H in the dining room at embarcation!

Each week there is one gala dinner (Captain's dinner) for which formal dress is encouraged. There is a buffet restaurant as well as the formal dining room in the evening. The buffet is apparently smaller but serves morning coffee, afternoon tea and snacks. There is OPEN SEATING in the restaurant at breakfast and lunch (ie you sit where you want to) but in the evenings you sit at the table which was allocated to you on the first evening. I don't know if that will apply for the second week of your cruise, as you may be allocated a different table from the one where you sat for your first week.

3) Euros for Greece and probably for Istanbul but what, for in Bulgaria or Romania (wherever Captain plans to stop) and for Sevastopol (assuming the Ruskies let us park there)?

Yes, you can use euros in Greece, where it is the national currency, and the Turks will accept euros EXCEPT for entrance fees to national Government monuments. The exchange rate might be in their favour if you use euros to buy drinks, but hey, you're on holiday!! I would think that entrance fees would be included in the cost of ship's excursions ... best to check on board, or get to an ATM at the start of your tour and take out a FEW New Turkish Lira (YTLs).

I would think you could do this also in Bulgaria (Nessebur), but the locals might also accept euros ... same exchange rate caveat applies as in Turkey!

The ship no longer calls in at Constanza in Roumania as part of the Crimean Discovery B cruise.

As regards Sevastopol, I don't think that there will be any reason for us not to call there. You will need UKRAINIAN currency here, and I believe that someone will come on board to change money before you leave the ship. Euros probably won't be acceptable here, and the Ukrainian currency is not convertible outside the Ukraine.

4) Wardrobe space - is it best to use the hard shell cases (they are the best for the bottles to come back in) or collapsable ones - do the hard shells fit the wardrobe , go under the bed or do I trip over them all week?

Now that's where I can't help you, because it depends if the beds have solid bases or not!!! I think I'll be tripping over mine whatever happens because I am naturally clumsy!

Looking forward to meeting you on board, and that we all have a great time!

We definitely used us flat pin adaptors on the Calypso a few weeks ago, but always take both!

Open seating dinner happens on the first night as passengers are arriving at different times. This will happen again when you are back in Thessaloniki to start the second week. All other nights are fixed seating/ sitting in the main restaurant, but the buffet is obviously open dining. We did actually have an extra open sitting when we were very late arriving in, and departing from, Limnos because of strong winds.

One night a week is Captain's cocktail party when most men wear a suit and tie, but it's not compulsory.

In Sevastopol and Nessebar you can change money at kiosks close to the dock- up the steps and straight ahead in Nessebar (lots of change facilities around town though and some places take euros. Don't get more than you need) In Sevastopol the change kiosks were next to the big white arched quay (forget what it's called!) less than 50 yards from the ship. Most places and taxis will take euros in Istanbul.

The destinations team are always around to point you in the right direction, and the port talks and information sheets are very good.

Some of the cabins are small and short of storage space, others are quite large. Location is the key to this rather than price! If yours is a small one the cases will have to go under the bed, but unless they are very deep they should fit.

kate

Hi everyone.

We got our tickets and it says we go to Romania but I assume it's a misprint. Must admit I don't care and I assume the captain knows where he is going.

We normally do our own thing on excursions but we will be taking the ships excursions in the Ukraine.

In Istanbul we will be making our way to the Ataturk Stadium to see the scene of the great "Red" triumph (for those of you not familiar with football, where Liverpool won their 5th European Cup)

Really looking forward to going if it doesn't rain I will be happy.

I am putting my name on the roll call and look forward to meeting up with you all.

Archived