Recent Coral World Experiences???

Traveler723

I'm not too recent---was there in '06. It was OK, but I thought it was a rip-off for the money (the only part I really liked was the underwater observation area), and there were NO employees around other than in the bird cage. This was not a place we could have asked questions about what we were seeing.

Also, this was the worst for me: they had the sea turtles in a tiny, tiny pond with scum on the top. The turtles could flap their flippers once, then they were already at the other side of the pond. They kept knocking into each other 'cause it was such a small space. I posted this on another thread, but I'll say it again: I'm not a PETA-animal-rights-bleeding-heart, but it HURT to see those turtles. If an animal could look miserable, they did. I told my mom not to take my little sister there the next year, she could NOT have handled the conditions they were being kept in, she woulda bawled her eyes out.

I'm not too recent---was there in '06. It was OK, but I thought it was a rip-off for the money (the only part I really liked was the underwater observation area), and there were NO employees around other than in the bird cage. This was not a place we could have asked questions about what we were seeing.

Also, this was the worst for me: they had the sea turtles in a tiny, tiny pond with scum on the top. The turtles could flap their flippers once, then they were already at the other side of the pond. They kept knocking into each other 'cause it was such a small space. I posted this on another thread, but I'll say it again: I'm not a PETA-animal-rights-bleeding-heart, but it HURT to see those turtles. If an animal could look miserable, they did. I told my mom not to take my little sister there the next year, she could NOT have handled the conditions they were being kept in, she woulda bawled her eyes out.

I have no idea why we have people like the one who wrote the above comments in the world, some times you just have to not say any thing at all.

One of the new additions to the carol world part would be the Sealions, you can watch the show are you can swim with them.

I have no idea why we have people like the one who wrote the above comments in the world, some times you just have to not say any thing at all.

One of the new additions to the carol world part would be the Sealions, you can watch the show are you can swim with them.

I don't know why you would say that! The OP was asking what the place was like---I gave my honest opinion. Should I only give opinions if I like something? That would defeat the purpose, no?

Again, the underwater observ. area was cool, the birds were pretty, there were no employees to be found except collecting money in the bird area, and the sea turtles weren't being maintained properly when I was there. Just what I know of the place.

Could you explain your post? I'm not sure what you think is wrong with the other poster's statement. I certainly hope its not the fact that they were saying that they thought the turtles were being treated improperly. If its true, its horrible and absolutely intolerable and everyone should be told about it. And I too would be very very upset to go there and see animals, birds, sea life, or any other living creature treated poorly. We sent an email to Coral World a couple of days ago to make reservations for the Sea Lion swim and they just left me a voice mail today saying that we had to call them back with a credit card. I decided to come on here to see if there were any posts about Coral World before making those reservations. If you have been there and have any different impressions of it, I would like to hear your views. Please elaborate on your statement if you will.

If you have been there and have any different impressions of it, I would like to hear your views. Please elaborate on your statement if you will.

So would I! I'd love to know they've fixed the problem, or the turtles were just in that pond for cleaning or repairs to their actual habitat or something. I would have asked, but again, no one around.

I can't imagine where they would put the sea lion swim---it wasn't a large place! Anyone know where they've installed this? I can't imagine Coral World could have developed such a project w/o changing things around--maybe new owners or something? It definitely wasn't the type of place to have such a "Discovery Cove/Sea World"-like experience like that when I was there. That'd be good news if they've grown, most likely!

So would I! I'd love to know they've fixed the problem, or the turtles were just in that pond for cleaning or repairs to their actual habitat or something. I would have asked, but again, no one around.

I can't imagine where they would put the sea lion swim---it wasn't a large place! Anyone know where they've installed this? I can't imagine Coral World could have developed such a project w/o changing things around--maybe new owners or something? It definitely wasn't the type of place to have such a "Discovery Cove/Sea World"-like experience like that when I was there. That'd be good news if they've grown, most likely!

They have a website at Coralworld.com. It shows that they have locations worldwide. Besides the Sea Lion Swim they have an exhibit with juvenile sharks, a stingray lagoon, the turtle pool, "critter corner" with iguanas, tortoises, ducks, the birds, a 80,000 gallon coral reef aquarium, and quite a bit more. The website makes it seem like it would be a huge place but yet the pictures don't really look that way. All I know is that if I got there and there was mistreatment of any living creature, I would be livid and terribly upset and most probably in tears like you thought would happen to your sister. So I very much appreciate your post and I will definitely look for more recent posts to see if things could have possibly changed.

We were at Coral World last week and had a great time. I went expecting a rinky-dink, wanna be Sea World and that's what I got.

Everyone working there was friendly and helpful. There was a young man working the shark tank area that answered questions and had a small shark we could touch! There is another area (touch pond? can't remember name) to touch starfish, etc. When we were there no one working, but as we were eating snack later noticed employee talking with people over there. Loved the Lorkeets. Very knowledgable employee telling me all about each bird's personality. As soon as the birds saw me reach in and pull out cash for nectar they came flying over; I'm NOT kidding.

The undersea observatory was my fave! It smelled old and looked straight from the '60s, but COOL. I am too chicken to snorkel but I could have stayed there all day watching the beautiful fish.

My dh and 10 yo dd did the SEA LION SWIM. My dd had one word to describe: awesome! Buy the pics on cd for $28 extra. It is so worth it! There's about 70 on there. Dh was trying to play it cool (cause I made him go-I was too chicken tee hee) and not make a big deal out of it, but the pics don't lie...he didn't stop smiling the entire time. Dh's advice is to bring soap. There are showers at Coral World and he says you'll need them. The sea lions, water and their breath stink like fish.

I didn't notice any turtles, but then I had a 10 year old pumped with excitement bouncing around waiting to see the sea lions.

My kids are animal lovers and they weren't disturbed by anything they saw. It is small, wouldn't take a whole day. We went to Coki beach next door and floated around in the beautiful, CLEAR water before taking the $9 pp taxi back to the ship.

Have a great time!

Laura

Archived