Best city for wandering on your own?

Sam75

Hi All

I will be going on a Mexican cruise in late October, visiting Cabo, Mazatlan, and PV. I would like to spend one of those days wandering around on my own, the other two with excursions. I'm leaning toward a canopy tour on one of them.

What is the best of those three cities for on-your-own? A little shopping, soaking up the culture, any museums and such. Im not much into water sports.

Thanks

Hello Sam75

Having stayed in Puerto Vallarta this past August, I found it a great place

to get around on foot. The cruise ships dock about 3-4 miles north of the town center. Taxis are available outside the terminal gate. Ask "how much to Centro" before you get in. Should be about $7.

Malecon

You could start your walk along the Malecon (seafront walkway) heading south. Don’t miss a look behind the rickety ‘Restaurant Malecon’ from the beach. I noticed that a contingent of Pelicans hangs out there waiting for handouts from the Restaurant. Apart from the view of the Bay, the public art along the Malecon is not to be missed. They have the most interesting bronze sculptures by various Mexican artists, i.e. Sergio Bustamente. You will also find a number of sand sculptures that are worth a look. At the south end you will come upon Los Arcos (the Arches) and the amphitheater. This will take about one hour providing you don’t cross the street and go shopping…keep in mind that the prices go up when cruise ships are in town.

Cathedral of Our Lady of Guadalupe

Once you are at Los Arcos, turn left to the Plaza and continue to the Cathedral. Doors are unlocked during the day. No shorts…

I was interested to note that the crown on the tower is a replica of the one worn by Empress Carlota.

Isla Rio Cuale and Museum

You might like to have a look at the rather steep cobblestone streets and stairs behind the Cathedral (Gringo Gulch.) Well worth a look in my opinion. Or you could continue south along Juarez Street for about 5 blocks till you reach Isla Rio Cuale, a small island reached by a suspension bridge. Watch out for the local kids, who delight in tormenting tourists by shaking the bridge. While you may find all the little stalls there too touristy, it is a nice place to sit on a bench in the shade. Don’t forget to check out the small 3-room Museo Rio Cuale, with their collection of pre-Columbian artifacts. Admission is free, but they do have a box for donations.

The island divides Old Vallarta from the Romantic Zone, if you wish to continue. Otherwise take a taxi back to the cruise terminal.

Keep an eye out for OXXO convenience stores, best place to buy a bottle of ice cold water for about $1.

Cheers

The cruise ships dock about 3-4 miles north of the town center. Taxis are available outside the terminal gate. Ask "how much to Centro" before you get in. Should be about $7. You could start your walk along the Malecon (seafront walkway) heading south.

I'll be in PV in a couple of weeks and would also like to visit the Malecon area. Is it easy enough to take a cab there? And pick up a cab "on the fly" for the trip back to the dock? I want to be flexible in terms of time and therefore would prefer not to pre-arrange the return cab ride. But I've never done cabs in Mexico before and thus am a little nervous about the process. I assume you can pay in US currency? Any advice would be appreciated! :-)

I will be going on a Mexican cruise in late October, visiting Cabo, Mazatlan, and PV. I would like to spend one of those days wandering around on my own, the other two with excursions. I'm leaning toward a canopy tour on one of them.

I can't speak to the other two cities. But in Cabo there is lots to see around the marina area (where the cruise ship tenders dock) including restaurants and shopping. You could easily spend a couple of hours walking around the area. And you could take a water taxi out to "land's end." Add an extra hour for that.

I'll be in PV in a couple of weeks and would also like to visit the Malecon area. Is it easy enough to take a cab there? And pick up a cab "on the fly" for the trip back to the dock? I want to be flexible in terms of time and therefore would prefer not to pre-arrange the return cab ride. But I've never done cabs in Mexico before and thus am a little nervous about the process. I assume you can pay in US currency? Any advice would be appreciated! :-)

I have been to PV several times. To mtwingcpa, It is incredibly easy to take a cab on days when a ship is in. On the way back TO port, it is a bit harder. Everybody is trying to get back to port while many others taking land vacations are trying to get downtown. You will not have to arrange a cab right back, but give your self some flexibility like 20 minutes prior to you wanting to leave to start searching for a cab. Cabs are often parked along roads perpendicular to the malecon waiting. Just remember to agree on a price before you hop in=)

To the OP, PV is a great city to wander on your own. There is a heavy tourist population, and it is even being built up more. Just like any city, be aware of your surroundings but I have never had an issue in PV for the past 8-9 years. Take a stroll in the Downtown area, visit the local flea markets. The Marina north of the hotel zone is a great place to enjoy a dinner, as is the Romantic zone. Once you visit PV, I promies you will want to return.

Hi All

What is the best of those three cities for on-your-own? A little shopping, soaking up the culture, any museums and such. Im not much into water sports.

Thanks

Purto Vallarta for sure! easy to get around and safe. lots to do and see just by walking.

Take the bus into town that is marked "centro" and get off once you see the malecon (boardwalk).

Purto Vallarta for sure! easy to get around and safe. lots to do and see just by walking.

Take the bus into town that is marked "centro" and get off once you see the malecon (boardwalk).

We'll be visiting for the first time on our Nov cruise and we're doing "our own" thing in PV. Glad to hear we made a good choice! Going to go for the bus even though it's been described as "an adventure" when I asked about getting around. Hopefully we can figure out where to get off for the El Malecon and how to get back to the ship! :)

Have never been to Mexico before and this will be our 1st port. Should be interesting to just get off and wander around. 1st time for everything! :D

I agree with mtwingcpa: Cabo-you can take a water taxi out to Los Arcos-there is some great snorkeling if the water isn't too cold for you. There's a flea market right at the dock. and then of course you can walk a block to the Cabo Wabo Cantina and have a Waborita for me! :-)

Robin

Don’t be nervous, it is easy, since all the cabbies seem to understand English. They don’t use taximeters, they charge by ‘zones.’ Cabbies are not customarily tipped unless they help you with your luggage, etc. There are plenty of yellow cabs considering the size of the town – apparently about 1000.

Ask "how much to Centro" (Malecon) before you get in. Should be about US $7 or 70 Peso. Try to have small bills, they don’t always have change.

And don’t count on air-conditioning, most of them just open the windows.

Have a great trip!

We did all 3 last winter. Did tours in Mazatlan and Cabo. Glad I did both, allowed enough time to explore afterward, not a great amount to do in Mazatlan.

PV, we took a bus downtown, went to the church and up the hill to Gringo Gulch.. very interesting but hilly walk... ended up walking down the other side of the hill and curving back into the old city. Did the Isle & the Malecon, both well worth it.. ended up in the Malecon for sunset, easily caught a wild cab ride back to the port.. %5 or $6 I think.. Bought Tequila at Walmart & got back to the ship with plenty of time!

2499935110101141247S425x425Q85.jpg2837666370101141247S425x425Q85.jpg

Archived