plaka athens for lunch?

We had a delicious and very inexpensive lunch at a restaurant recommended by Rick Steves - Thanasis. There were mostly locals eating there which is always a good sign.

It's in Monastiraki Square, at the corner of Mitropoleos.

We had a hard time finding it because the name on the awning must be the Greek spelling ... here's a photo of it -- scroll down to the photos shown under "Thanasis": http://********************/athens/athens_restaurants.htm & be sure to take note of the name on the awning.

We're heading back there next month....my mouth is watering already.:)

p.s. sorry, that website is blocked here, but if you sub in www athens taxi dot net for the asterisks, it should work ... or do a google search of "photo of Thanasis restaurant Athens"

I am sure you will get specific recommendations. We had several meals pre and post cruise in the Plaka. There are dozens of establishments to choose from. They all have a menu board. We never had a bad meal. Great food. Ah the Mousaka and Baklava!! Enjoy.

"It's in Monastiraki Square, at the corner of Mitropoleos."

We walked through this restaurant's seating area (tables both sides of walkway) and turned right at the corner. Just a few steps ahead on the right, there was a restaurant selling take-away gyro wraps for 1.8eu. We ate inside for a tiny bit more. My kids only wanted gyro wraps (Thanasis only had souvlaki, not gyro), not a full meal with rice and greek salad. It was excellent. They said they were the oldest restaurant in Athens but maybe they all say that ;)

As someone else said, lots of places in the Plaka, mostly decent prices, and it all looked pretty good.

We go to Thanasis every time we are in Athens..it is our favorite restaurant..we eat there and then go back to get take a way for dinner..the side window has the take a way gyros. Ummm. It is worth finding and you have the corner..easy to find Monastriki square..we always walk to it in the Plaka..look up in the top left corner of a little map and you will see the square! Enjoy and have a bite for us! Reasonable too!

Sherry

While staying in Athens, pre-cruise, we ate several times at the Cafe Metropol in Mitropopeos Square. This is the square in front of the Cathedral under scaffolding. Is is a fairly quiet square, english menu, and helpful staff. Not far from Monastriki square

Not gourmet but good food if you stick to greek basics. Greek beer quite good.

We go to Thanasis every time we are in Athens..it is our favorite restaurant..we eat there and then go back to get take a way for dinner..the side window has the take a way gyros.

Sherry

We did see that window but gyros were like 8.5 eu. Go around the block the other way and they had them 1.8eu.

We did see that window but gyros were like 8.5 eu. Go around the block the other way and they had them 1.8eu.

W had lunch at Thanasis in '05 (sitting in the restaurant) & our bill for the two of us was less than €10 ... I hope it hasn't gone up that much, but I'll find out next month.

W had lunch at Thanasis in '05 (sitting in the restaurant) & our bill for the two of us was less than €10 ... I hope it hasn't gone up that much, but I'll find out next month.

Susan I was traveling with 5 people so I paid attention to prices. I think a greek salad was around 4.50eu, but everything there seemed to be 'platters' and they were 8.50eu pp and up, without drinks. I looked at a menu but he said they only had souvlaki platters, no 'gyro wraps' (those were around the corner but still a lot for a 'wrap').

Susan I was traveling with 5 people so I paid attention to prices. I think a greek salad was around 4.50eu, but everything there seemed to be 'platters' and they were 8.50eu pp and up, without drinks. I looked at a menu but he said they only had souvlaki platters, no 'gyro wraps' (those were around the corner but still a lot for a 'wrap').

OK thanks ... we had kebab pitas, but not a platter. I'll look for the gyro wraps around the corner.:)

I have a sin to confess.........I ate at the Plaka McDonalds.

I should add, it was only an afternoon snack! Our tour group had eaten lunch in an Athens Hotel before climbing the Acropolis, and Plaka was our last stop of the day before returing to the ship.

I should add, it was only an afternoon snack! Our tour group had eaten lunch in an Athens Hotel before climbing the Acropolis, and Plaka was our last stop of the day before returing to the ship.

Wow you must really feel guilty lol.

It was so hard ordering french fries at the KFC. I said to several of the workers, "French fries??" and no one knew what I meant, I had to point to someone's tray.

Archived