Cembrilitas or Cagaloglu Hamam?

They both also have websites which you can browse, might help you decide. And perhaps price and/or location would be a factor?

We had read guides and these were the two which were recommended for "first timers/tourists". In the end we opted for Cemberlitas so cannot say if it is better or worse than Cagaloglu.

On our land stay, other hotel guests had been to one or the other and nobody said anything too negative about either, although we got the impression (rightly or wrongly) that Cagaloglu is a " total nudity" hamam whereas Cemberlitas was "almost but not quite" nude if you so chose....take a spare (dry) pair with you to change into when dressing again.;)

Not sure if this is helpful or not, perhaps others who have visited one or the other could give more info on this if it is important to you.

We did the Cemberlitas hamam last month. We (3 women) did it nude, but other women there had on bikini undies. A friend on our ship went to the Cagaloglu the day before, and wore her bathing suit. At hers, they also shampooed her hair. Not so at Cemberlitas, and we booked the deluxe bath (1/2 hr. oil massage after the scrub down). We loved the experience. When I go back to Istanbul in the future, I'll try the other one just to compare!

Suzie

Thanks for the information. Can you tell me how much you paid for the full treatment at the one you went to?

I am glad to hear either place allows bikini bottoms. I had heard Cagaloglu was a "nudity encouraged" place too.

How was the oil massage? I read that at Cemberlitas it was not done by the same person in the same room as the wash, but in Cagaloglu it is. Is there any issue with this?

• 2 weeks later...

So I still haven't decided, I think we will just pick one once we get there. But in the meantime I have another question. I have read it is appropriate and appreciated if you tip the person who does your scrubbing. How do you do this? Someone said slip it into your bath mitt, does that mean you tip before getting service? In Cemberlitas, I read you get a different person doing your massage from your bath how do you tip there?

Thanks! Two weeks to go and I am starting to tie down loose ends.

deb

Archived