Your first cruise ship

Here's an article from this year:

http://maritimematters.com/2013/03/and-away-they-go/

It mentions the Pacific Princess and other ships including the Southward. I loved the old NCL Southward. It was a beautiful ship.

Go to the thread iat the Princess forum-she was still at Genoa April 13th. This article from March and it says she would leave Genoa the following week-so it is not accurate either.

Go to the thread iat the Princess forum-she was still at Genoa April 13th. This article from March and it says she would leave Genoa the following week-so it is not accurate either.

Okay, Wikipedia says she was finally towed away on July 27th to Turkey.

Are they going to dismantle her or use her?

What I read indicated she would be dismantled-probably has been by now. It was said it was too expensive to get her sea worthy again. I would think sea worthy and a docked hotel/museum would be 2 different things. Too bad I do not have millions huh to save her huh? Lol! and Aaron Spelling is gone, the only person with enough money on this planet who may would have been interested enough to do it.

What I read indicated she would be dismantled-probably has been by now. It was said it was too expensive to get her sea worthy again. I would think sea worthy and a docked hotel/museum would be 2 different things. Too bad I do not have millions huh to save her huh? Lol! and Aaron Spelling is gone, the only person with enough money on this planet who may would have been interested enough to do it.

And doubtful that Candy or Tori would step up and do it.

You mean right above your post about Candi and Tori?? I guess he slipped in here too-lol!

Right below, that is.

I loved the part about how the show brought in a huge interest in cruising to TV viewers. I know, I doubt I would have ever taken a cruise if not for Love boat. Our first cruise was on Carnival Tropicale, 10 years younger than Pacific Princess but boy she was a dump, we even lost power for a few minutes! but heck we loved the cruise, and since we had nothing but the Love Boat TV show, and a ferry trip to Freeport on Seaescape in the late 80's to compare to the Tropicale, we loved the ship!

Hubby went around singing the Love Boat theme and telling everyone he hoped we did not hit an ice burg( in the Caribbean)-lol! (this was not long after the Titanic movie came out.) He embarrassed me to death, everyone KNEW it was our first cruise-lol!

You mean right above your post about Candi and Tori?? I guess he slipped in here too-lol!

Oops. I missed that one :o probably snuck it in while I was replying to you.

Still it's worth repeating.

Edited by Kentskie

I 1st sailed on the SS Norway as a college Junior in 1987. It was not considered a normal spring break location then but have been hooked ever since, leaving on number 30 in 58 days. Since formal was "formal" back then, I sewed my own gown on a sewing machine in the student union as there was no internet and only 1 bridal shop in my small college town. No sewing needed this time.

My first was the SS Norway...

I 1st sailed on the SS Norway as a college Junior in 1987. It was not considered a normal spring break location then but have been hooked ever since, leaving on number 30 in 58 days. Since formal was "formal" back then, I sewed my own gown on a sewing machine in the student union as there was no internet and only 1 bridal shop in my small college town. No sewing needed this time.

When I was last on the Starward a cruise staff member had just transferred from the Norway which was, at the time, the largest cruise ship in the world. The Norway was his first ship and on his first day people kept asking him directions (since he was wearing a badge) and he had no idea where anything was. He was worried about where people ended up following his directions.

Since formal was "formal" back then, I sewed my own gown on a sewing machine in the student union as there was no internet and only 1 bridal shop in my small college town. No sewing needed this time.

When I first sailed casual was a blazer with shirt and tie (well trousers too of course). Informal was a suit and tie and formal was a tux.

Edited by Kentskie

Forgot to mention the "room", I think even closet would be kind. You could touch both walls with outstretched arms and there were bunk beds. But best of all, I shared this space with a total stranger. There use to be a single share category and the cruise line assigned you a roommate, but I was still hooked although have now graduated to balconies.

Forgot to mention the "room", I think even closet would be kind. You could touch both walls with outstretched arms and there were bunk beds. But best of all, I shared this space with a total stranger. There use to be a single share category and the cruise line assigned you a roommate, but I was still hooked although have now graduated to balconies.

I remember the days of random roommates. I think some cruise lines still do it or did into the end of the last century.

I remember the days of random roommates. I think some cruise lines still do it or did into the end of the last century.

Yes I had that experience in 1966 on the old HA Statendam - had great roommates in "4" person cabin with bunk beds - best to be young and not spend a lot of time in the cabin - avoided the old inside pool on a rough winter North Atlantic crossing - water half way up the walls.

Howard

Edited by Sherard

Yes I had that experience in 1966 on the old HA Statendam - had great roommates in "4" person cabin with bunk beds - best to be young and not spend a lot of time in the cabin - avoided the old inside pool on a rough winter North Atlantic crossing - water half way up the walls.

Howard

I agree with "best to be young and not spend a lot of time in the cabin". I can't imagine doing it now.

First ship T/A Cristoforo Columbo May 31, 1955

Second ship Andrea Doria T/A August 31, 1955 her tragic accident July 26, 1956

lurline Matson line to Hawaii June 1959

Totally hooked for a lifetime of ships and cruising.

Carnival Pride 7 day Mexican Riviera. It was the end of September 2008 and beginning of October. It was my honeymoon with my bride of one week. We were both a little worried how it would turn out as it was the first for both of us but it got us both addicted. This September to mark our 5th anniversary we will be doing the 4 day on Carnival Inspiration. Now that life has settled down a little for us we want to do more of them, hopefully an Alaskan cruise someday.