Infinity 11/14/04 Maui Snorkeling on own or ship excursion

DIANE10

Trying to decide whether to join a charten on our own or go thru the ships excursion. Would like to do the Molokini trip. We will tender there. Thought it might be better to go on the ship excursion the 2nd day we are there because we would be guaranteed an early tender as the trip is at 7:30 am. I have tried to get info on the tender schedule with no success. I also understand it is a 30 min drive to the harbor. To rent a car is around $ 40 and we would just use it to get to the harbor and have a little time after the trip to drive around. The charters we contacted were about $ 80. The ship's trip is $ 81 and included trans to harbor.

We usually prefer to schedule trips without the ship.

I have also noted Molokini can be cloudy and choppy. I see some threads that the snorkeling was not so good there and many times they do not make both stops because of weather condtions.

Please, any help out there?

Any help out there

We did the Molokini snorkel when we sailed to Hawaii on the Summit two years ago. We did have a car from the day before since we had other things we wanted to do as well (parked it overnight about two blocks from the tender pier). We booked the snorkel excursion for the second day as the tenders run all night. Somewhere around 10:00 pm they change the schedule to one tender per hour until around 7:00 a.m. We booked with the Fair Winds II and had a great time - boat nice and crew very good. The snorkeling was not up to par with the snorkeling off Kona or at Hanauma Bay on Oahu but was good none-the-less. We even had a shark under the boat when we got in the water.:eek: We did this snorkel in May and it was a little rough. This time of year I could imagine that it may be rougher. You might check with the Hawaii folk on this board for that info. After snorkeling at Molokini, you could then go over to the Maui Ocean Center and spend some time in the afternoon. It is fabulous and is just across the harbor from where you board the snorkel boats. Anyway, good luck making your plans. Maui is fantastic and I know whatever you choose, you will have a great time!

http://www.mauioceancenter.com/home.html

http://www.tombarefoot.com/maui/four_winds.html

First, to get the best water condition you should go to Molokini in the morning. In the afternoon, the wind often kicks up and makes it unsafe to go there. Then you go to "alternate" spots along the shore, which you could often go to on your own anyway!

Only you can decide if the flexibility of the car rental is worth it. I highly recommend that you find out which snorkel tour company the ship uses. Some are great, others okay, others don't seem to get good reviews.

Also, you need to decide how large a boat you want to go on (some hold many pax) and how much of a "party" atmophere you want to have.

If you want a smaller boat, I can recommend Maui Dive Shop. It is not a party boat. They take only about 30 people (if I remember right) and do not do the big BBQ, etc. You have coffee and snacks on the way out; cold beverages and snacks on the way in (also available during your snorkel). No alcohol is served. There is no water slide, etc. BUT they time their trips kind of inbetween the major party boats. I know Molokini can get incredibley crowded when all the boats are in at once, so this was a big plus. AND on our trip (in March), we did whale watching on the way back. There was this family pod (dad, mom, and baby) that came close to us. We stopped (you actually have to if the whales come within a certain distance; they have the "right of way") and watched. They stayed in the area for quite a while. Baby was learning how to breach. It was like, "watch me, watch me!" and then dad or mom would do a really big one like, "okay, pretty good, but try to do it this way." It was hysterical, as well as awe inspiring and beautiful. We were all so mesmerized, that the captain called in to shore to say we would be at least 20 minutes late returning due to a whale show. I don't know if the big party boats do that kind of thing. My experience has been that they don't, but it's admittedly limited experience.

Also Maui Dive leaves from Kihei. A longer drive from Lahaina, but shorter trip to Molokini.

Whatever you do, the trip to Molokini is well worth it.

beachchick

We were on Maui a couple of years ago in October. We were told to do a morning snorkle trip. The water was smooth and we had great visability. We did not get to go to where the sea turtles were however, as the water was too rough there.

We went from Maalea harbor - that's about 30 min from Lahina, and were told, a shorter boat ride to Molokini. We were on a catamaran, whose name escapes me.

We will be on an Hawaiian cruise in 2 weeks and have a car reserved from both days. We plan to go back for another snorkling trip, followed by Mai-tais at Buzz's Wharf ( at the harbor).

javadoc3: It's true that Ma'alea harbor is a shorter ride to Molokini than if you go from Lahaina, but Kihei is a shorter ride than from Ma'alea. However, most of the boats do go from Ma'alea, so you have many more options there. I know that at least one company goes from Lahaina, but I have heard that the boat ride is quite long (not surprising), so that wouldn't be my first choice.

beachchick

Diane,

This article mentions a parking lot at Front and Prison Sts. It's only a short distance from the Burger King and actually closer to the exit from the pier. The part about parking is at the bottom of the page. I think the lot at Front and Prison has a 3 hour time limit.

http://www.discoveringhawaii.com/Is_Maui/MALahaina.html

For a map of Lahaina showing the parking lots, check out the following site, click on Lahaina town

http://www.thisweek.com/maui/maps/

Spleen,

The article is a bit confusing about parking lots, espescially the one across from King Kamehameha school. One place lists it as free but with a 3 hour time limit and it is also listed as paid??? It is an interesting web site to explore. In several trips to Hana, never went to Waimoukou Falls or the Red Sand Beach, might have to make another trip there in a few weeks.

Archived