Camera for snorkeling?

horsingaround

I just purchased an Olympus Stylus 770 SW. This camera says it is waterproof to 33 ft. I will be snorkeling in Belize on an upcoming cruise - has anyone used this camera for underwater shots while snorkeling? Any tips - it has an 'underwater' scene selection - does this work well for underwater shots?

Any info would be appreciated!

Thanks

I have used the 770 SW for one cruise. Unfortunately a tropical storm had just passed the area so visibility was not that great underwater. The underwater snapshot mode was used for the attached shot at Coco Cay. I have not experimented with other modes for my underwater shots.

I used the flash in some shots and did not notice a huge difference in the pictures. I think the flash revealed more of the sand suspended in the water.

I found it difficult to see the screen and to frame the picture.

However, I found the pictures to be a higher quality than pictures taken with disposable cameras. I have not played around with modifying the picture, so the attached picture has not been edited.

How luck you are to go snorkeling in Belize. It has been my favourite snorkel spot so far. I took the water taxi to Caye Caulker and then had a snorkel tour of the local reef. It was amazing!

1567860887_CocoCay.jpg.49b1d0dda75a197f40b72e73f8af41e4.jpg

I have decided to buy the Olympus 850 waterproof camera. I am in the process of bidding for one on eBay. Yes they are not top-of-the-line underwater cameras, but what can you expect at this price range? From what I have seen, these cameras do a better job than the disposable cameras. I think having a underwater digital camera is going to be a BIG PLUS! With disposable film cameras so many pictures didn't turn out underwater, what a waste. With digital I can take as many as my memory card will hold (grin).

I have a 770 and love it. You can see my video of a cruise my wife and I were on last November at:

http://alauer.com/triumph/triumph.html

Be sure to right click on the video after it starts and choose to ZOOM to full screen.

If you have a very fast internet connect you can see all my cruise vids in higher res at;

http://www.photodex.com/sharing/viewalbum.html?bm=92920

You will love your new camera

Larry

I just purchased an Olympus Stylus 770 SW. This camera says it is waterproof to 33 ft. I will be snorkeling in Belize on an upcoming cruise - has anyone used this camera for underwater shots while snorkeling? Any tips - it has an 'underwater' scene selection - does this work well for underwater shots?

Any info would be appreciated!

Thanks

I have a Pentax Optio W30 which I am very happy with ...

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0702/07022103pentaxw30.asp

I took this photo in Grand Cayman with it ...

Snuba.jpg

I have used several underwater cameras starting with the disposables and then I bought a film camera with an underwater housing and most recently I bought Canon A720IS and an underwater housing for it. It takes very good pictures and I felt much better with the camera in a housing rather than just submerging it in salt water. I know the Olympus is rated for it, but I like the camera to stay protected. I also scuba so I wanted something with a deeper depth rating.

I have seen several people have good luck with snorkeling with their camera in those aquapac bags. They are around $40 and will protect your several hundred dollar investment in your camera when you are in the water snorkeling.

I just bought the 770 as well and I have tested it out in the pool and it works well. I have a question for those who also own it...does your camera make kindof a grinding sound when it is on but idle? I don't have time to send it back to olympus to see if it is a problem, as I leave for my cruise on the Crown Princess in less than two weeks, so I am just praying that it is a normal feature of the camera. Everything else seems to work as normal. I was just wondering if anyone else's 770 makes that same noise...

I will post pics when I get back if i can figure out how. Have fun with your cameras everyone!

Thanks for the info - I think this camera will work for what I'm looking for. I'll have to play with using the flash under water - but will probably go with leaving it off. Without having a good 'diffuser', I think the flash will just light up the particles floating around. I'll be hoping for a nice sunny day when I have my snorkeling trip!! :D

Only 1 more month to go!!

I have decided to buy the Olympus 850 waterproof camera. I am in the process of bidding for one on eBay. Yes they are not top-of-the-line underwater cameras, but what can you expect at this price range? From what I have seen, these cameras do a better job than the disposable cameras. I think having a underwater digital camera is going to be a BIG PLUS! With disposable film cameras so many pictures didn't turn out underwater, what a waste. With digital I can take as many as my memory card will hold (grin).

You did get this camera yet? I was looking at one on Amazon. If you did, can you let me know if you like it? Thanks.

I just bought the 770 as well and I have tested it out in the pool and it works well. I have a question for those who also own it...does your camera make kindof a grinding sound when it is on but idle? I don't have time to send it back to olympus to see if it is a problem, as I leave for my cruise on the Crown Princess in less than two weeks, so I am just praying that it is a normal feature of the camera. Everything else seems to work as normal. I was just wondering if anyone else's 770 makes that same noise...

I will post pics when I get back if i can figure out how. Have fun with your cameras everyone!

I have the 770 and absolutely LOVE it.. .. to answer your question - I have never noticed a grinding noise when the camera is idle.. its very quiet..

Best of luck with your new camera and I hope that there is nothing mechanically wrong with it! Here's some pics I took with my 770sw:

fish1-1.jpg

P3160032.jpg

P3160037.jpg

Glad to hear all of your responses. I have an Olympus digital right now and really want one of the waterproof ones. I have been looking and trying to decide between the 700 series and 800 series. I have 2 trips to the caribbean in Dec. and Jan. so I am really looking forward to some great snorkeling and photos.

• 3 months later...
I have a 770 and love it. You can see my video of a cruise my wife and I were on last November at:

http://alauer.com/triumph/triumph.html

Be sure to right click on the video after it starts and choose to ZOOM to full screen.

If you have a very fast internet connect you can see all my cruise vids in higher res at;

http://www.photodex.com/sharing/viewalbum.html?bm=92920

You will love your new camera

Larry

Larry,

I just wanted to tell you how much I'm enjoying your pics. I might just to get one of these cameras. Love the cabin crawl. I hope they do that on my cruise. Looks like so much fun.

Thanks again for sharing these pics!!

Archived