Question for those who have been on Independence...........

taysidetwo

Was wondering what the customs arrangements at Southampton are like when you get back from your cruise.

I would like to buy some cut flowers while in Madeira or Tenerife, and kind of thought I was allowed to bring back CUT flowers - just not plants with a root.

So, with that in mind, I got to thinking about the customs back in Southampton, and how strict they were? Is it like when you get back to Britain at the airport? Less? More?

Thanks in advance for your help!!!!

Judi x

Thanks Heather!

Thats kind of what I was hoping!

Another question I've thought of since posting this!!

• ----> Duty free. What options are there for buying duty free gifts? If you were at an airport, obviously, you can go before your trip, and then on the plane on your way back.

I guess the prices for gifts on Indy are not DF. Is there a DF shop on her? (!!!!! Yes, I know it might be a silly question!!!)

I am aware you can buy DF in the ports, eg Tenerife, Lanzarote, etc, but for electrical, it will be the wrong plug fitting.

Am I just expecting too much?

Judi xx

Judi they say the shops on board are duty free and I did get some great bargains in pefume and I bought a watch from the jewellery shop The shops were never open while the ship was in a port only while at sea ,there are some very nice items in the shops.

I hope you have a great time on the Independence we absolutely loved it and are already booked up for next year.

Heather

I am aware you can buy DF in the ports, eg Tenerife, Lanzarote, etc, but for electrical, it will be the wrong plug fitting.

Am I just expecting too much?

Judi xx

Whatever they may tell you in the Canaries, anything you buy there is liable to VAT on return as they are not full members of the EEC. They also operate various scams where you end up buying something that you didn't intend to buy. Elecetrical and camera equipment from there is not good value.

Bill

Customs at Southampton is pretty much the same as the airports. Luggage is laid out in lines for your collection. This also enables the dogs to inspect it when required. You then pass through the normal customs inspection channels for pre-determined or random selection, or none at all as is the case on the day.

You will not be liable for VAT or duty on your return on any goods you purchase that are within your personal allowance of £145 per person ,(you cannot pool the allowance with someone else or apply it in part to any single item where the value exceeds £145) for goods purchased on board or outside of the EC. Alcohol and cigarettes purchased on board or outside of the EC (Canary Islands) are also subject to the usual personal limits (200 cigs & 1 litre of spirits).

Cut flowers from Maderia or the Canary Islands should not be a problem, except that they will be a few days old by the time you get them back.

There is a duty free shop on board Indy, which is open at sea. Prices were fairly good and in July 08 were noticably cheaper than BAA airport duty free outlets. The prices are in US $ like everything on board, and obviously the relevant strength of the Dollar will have some bearing.

Whatever they may tell you in the Canaries, anything you buy there is liable to VAT on return as they are not full members of the EEC. They also operate various scams where you end up buying something that you didn't intend to buy. Elecetrical and camera equipment from there is not good value.

Bill

Customs at Southampton is pretty much the same as the airports. Luggage is laid out in lines for your collection. This also enables the dogs to inspect it when required. You then pass through the normal customs inspection channels for pre-determined or random selection, or none at all as is the case on the day.

You will not be liable for VAT or duty on your return on any goods you purchase that are within your personal allowance of £145 per person ,(you cannot pool the allowance with someone else or apply it in part to any single item where the value exceeds £145) for goods purchased on board or outside of the EC. Alcohol and cigarettes purchased on board or outside of the EC (Canary Islands) are also subject to the usual personal limits (200 cigs & 1 litre of spirits).

Cut flowers from Maderia or the Canary Islands should not be a problem, except that they will be a few days old by the time you get them back.

There is a duty free shop on board Indy, which is open at sea. Prices were fairly good and in July 08 were noticably cheaper than BAA airport duty free outlets. The prices are in US $ like everything on board, and obviously the relevant strength of the Dollar will have some bearing.

Thank you both for your information.

I wasnt planning on buying any electrical in the Canaries, so I'm not feeling worried by that. Thank you for the scam warning!!!!

Thanks for the info regarding Customs at Southampton - thats really what I wanted to know.

Thanks also for the reminder of our personal allowances - I knew they were restricted from the Canaries from previous visits.

I was hoping to buy some Strelitzias (my mother is a flower arranger and would love some instead of having to pay the huge wholesaler prices from UK) in one of our ports, and they will last and last for ages, so I'm not too concerned about that!!!

I'm pleased to hear about the DF shop on Indy - didnt think there would be one. AND that prices are competative!!!!!!!!!!

Judi xx

Archived