Just back from MSC Armonia Dover - Genoa

kimberley

This is my second cruise with MSC. I have cruise with Princess, RCCL, NCL,

P& O, and a couple of other ones.

We only received our tickets a couple of days before we cruised. This was in the form of an email printout!!! No luggage labels, yes nothing else. I have purchased the superior wine package from MSC in the UK. I worked out a lot cheaper than purchasing it on board.

We received a phone call the day before to tell us that we could check in from 11am and that the ship would be in at 3PM. We went by train and got a taxi from the Station to the peir. The taxi fair was a fixed price of £8. We arrived at 12.30 and yes we could deposit the luggage but we were told we could not check in.

We caught the shuttle bus in to Dover which was waiting at the peir for £3 return, a bargain. It took us in to the middle of town and picked us up where it dropped us off. We had a look around the shops a spot of lunch and bought some cokes and diet sprite from the supermarket somerfield, very easy to find.We just carried these on and emptied the fridge and put these in there.

Eventually the ship arrived and we started the checking in procedure at 4.15pm. We boarded about 4.40pm and set sail a short time after.

We had booked an inside guarantee and ended up in a cat 6 onbstructed view. They were not exagerating it was an obstructed view. The lift boat completeley covered the window view. You had to stand on the bed and look down just to see a little of the sea.! You had to close the curtains at night as there was a light just out side which was always on.

The luggage arrived around 6pm and we unpacked this is when we realised the problem with these cabins. NO drawers to put your clothes in. We had pushed the beds together and you had to climb over the end of the bed to get out the room was that narrow. You could put some stuff in the cupboard next to the bed and in the single drawer under the dressing table and that was it. There a double wardrobe with hanging space but no drawer space. The only other furniture was a tall boy with a tv on it, indide it contained the safe, a super hairdryer and the fridge. The total space of the cabin was 10' x 11. We sat on the bed and laughted we have been in some small cabins but this was small. But we managed. I suppose what we should have done was asked for a change but we had unpacked. We did look in to some other cabins and yes they had drawers lots of them and they could walk around the bed. I showed them photos I had taken of ours and they couldn't believe it. So just a thought think very carefully before you pay for an obstructed view you will regret it. Whether this is the same on every ship I don't know.

It did gives us a giggle every time we entered the cabin.

We had late sitting although we had requested main sitting. We ate at 8.45pm in the La Pagola restaurant. It is a lovely restaurant and we had a window table. We were joined by only three other people a lovely couple from Clithero, Lancs Shelagh and Mark and a first time cruiser Mike from Southend.

They were really interesting and made dinner a treat.

Now to the food, where do I begin. Yes you could order from each course no problem. Only one night did the waiter say no when I asked for two starters but then I explained that I didn't want any of the others, all he was concerned about was whether he could bring them out at the same time.

The food was edieble but not exciting. I think you have to go with an open mind and expect the unexpected. How you expect the dish to come looking like will probably just not happen but we didn't starve. No water or coffee at dinner time. Somebody did ask for water and was told no.

We only tried the buffet once and it was cold. We ate all our other meals in the restaurant. Lunch was usually the best meal. The breakfasts were fine but I couldn't cope with the powdered fruit juice!! it was dreadful.

We bought the large beer coupon book $63 and the cocktail coupon book $63.

What we did notice was that we saw very few people drinking and everyone was complaining about the price of drinks. In November 2007, the beer package was $63 and now it 63 Euro. The wine package was $116 and now it is 129 Euro. that means the prices have doubled in a year. It worked out at £5 for less than a pint. The only good buy was the carafe of wine at 9 euros.

We took some alchohol for our cabin and had no problem at all. We only ever had our bags checked land side.

Now to the entertainment, well I have to say it left a lot to be desired. It was very amateur at its best. One thing that we normally really enjoy is the shows and we realize some are better than other and like food it is very subjective but this was dire. They had no theme at all although the tennor singer I did enjoy. Music in the lounges were good. The best bit of entertainment was the passenger talent show that was really entertaining.

We never had a problem finding a lounger or space to ourselves. The ports of call were good and different. Shuttle bus in Malaga was 4euro and in Marselle was 10 euros.

A passenger one night was airlifted off by helicopter during the night. This did have an inpact on timing to the port and we probably lost just over the hour at the port. But at least the person got the care that he needed.

Well would I cruise with MSC again. Yes,There were a few niggles, like a freeforall at the midnight buffet not a pretty sight. Lack of altenative dinning. You each in the restaurant or you don't eat at night. Drinks like I say were very expensive.

I would describe MSC like a supermarket and it would compare to the LIdls and Aldi, no frills, no extras, basic but still exceptable. Where I would describe Princess and RCCL like Marks and Spences. You get what you pay for. You shop where you can afford and make your choice. I think you need to go with an open mind and just enjoy it and make the most of it. It is amazing what dishes you can make with Lidl's food!!!!

We needed some thing to cover our 20th anniversary and this fitted the bill but I'm really looking forward to The Independence in 5 weeks and dream of the steaks and Lobster!!

If you need to ask anything please do.

Kimberley

Archived