Ecstasy 10/23 Review

superdave69

In response to your question about renting a car - We have been to the Mayan Riviera 3 times now. The first time we went was about 5 years ago and we rented a car and went to Tulum. We had no problems. The other two times we did not rent. Your travel agent, etc. will probably discourage it. The highway is a nice 4 lane (I think) highway. All signs are in spanish and some of them are really wierd. You will probably be arriving in Calica. From there you will have to take a cab to Playa del Carmen for the rental car. I think it's about 5 miles. If you have the same itinerary that we do (leaving next Monday) you will be off the boat around7:30 - 8:00 but have to be back I would say not later than 3:00. My suggestion to you is to take a cab to PDC to the Collectivo Stand. I think it's on 5th avenue - look it up on the internet. Just type in Collectivo. It will cost you a whole $1.50 to go all the way to Tulum. The only down side is that it lets you off on the highway and then you have to walk a little bit - I don't remember it being very far. Make sure you wear you swim suit to Tulum. There is an absolutely awesome beach there sitting beneath the ruins. We had a great time playing in the waves and cooling off. For your return trip, if you have time, stop at Akumal - there is a pretty beach there and you can rent snorkle gear, sit in the shade under a palm tree and buy $1 coronas at the little grocery market. Can't beat it. That's where we are going to spend our day. Anyway, make sure you cab it back to the boat. You don't want to take a chance of being late. Oh and fyi - the car rentals are about $25 - 35 or so, but the insurance costs that much in addition. Do not rent without it. Hope this helps have a great time.

Mohendry-

The Ecstasy has a very nice "Grand Atrium". It starts at the Empress deck and goes up to the Veranda deck. The Grand Atrium is the first sight you get of the inside of the ship at embarkation and is very impressive. During drydock they added a bar to the Empress deck by the Pursers Desk.

Archived