Norwegian Sky Formal Night

baf_38821

Hi, We will be sailing on the Norwegian Sky October 17-20. This will be our very first cruise. We decided to book at the last minute because of the markdowns. I have read about the freestyle cruising, and I was wondering if the formal night is still the same as in other cruise lines. Our vacation planner said the dining room staff would not let you in if the male was not wearing at least a suit and tie. However, I have read several reviews where people did not dress formal and were still allowed to dine in the main dining rooms. Does anyone know about this?? My husband does not like the idea of wearing a suit, and I would rather not pack the formal wear if I don't have to. Thanks for any input!

Hi, We will be sailing on the Norwegian Sky October 17-20. This will be our very first cruise. We decided to book at the last minute because of the markdowns. I have read about the freestyle cruising, and I was wondering if the formal night is still the same as in other cruise lines. Our vacation planner said the dining room staff would not let you in if the male was not wearing at least a suit and tie. However, I have read several reviews where people did not dress formal and were still allowed to dine in the main dining rooms. Does anyone know about this?? My husband does not like the idea of wearing a suit, and I would rather not pack the formal wear if I don't have to. Thanks for any input!

Your vacation planner needs a major correction. You are NOT required to wear a suite and tie. Some will wear them, and some will even wear a tux, but the vast majority will NOT have a tie on. In fact, on our last few NCL cruise, I stopped taking a sport coat. And we tend to dress nice, just not dress up.

NCL calls this night "dress up or not" night. That's what's so great about NCL. No need for the formal attire if that's not your thing. Like Gary said, your planner has no clue. I'd check out ncl.com and go to the FAQ section. You'll find a wealth of info. there... and here. I wouldn't count on much help from your planner. Congrats on your first cruise and welcome to cruise critic.

Just off the Sky last week. The only restriction was that no shorts or jeans were allowed in the Palace dining room, although they were allowed in Crossings, and of course in the buffet. Additionally, so few people were dressed up, and so few photographers, that I couldn't tell the difference between formal night and any other night. If you don't want it, leave the dressy clothes at home - we wasted suitcase space with ours, not to mention the jewelry and accessories!

• 8 years later...

I will be taking my first cruise on NCL also in Oct....to cuba... i am a faithful carnival cruiser so i am a little nervous on what to expect. I enjoy formal nights but see there really isnt an official formal night. Not sure how an all inclusive works for drinks and waiter service etc. I am however a believer that you are responsible for your own fun!! If anyone has experience with freestyle cruises send me your experience!

I will be taking my first cruise on NCL also in Oct....to cuba... i am a faithful carnival cruiser so i am a little nervous on what to expect. I enjoy formal nights but see there really isnt an official formal night. Not sure how an all inclusive works for drinks and waiter service etc. I am however a believer that you are responsible for your own fun!! If anyone has experience with freestyle cruises send me your experience!

Don't be nervous at all. The sky is a small ship, she has 2 MDR and 3 specialty restaurants, plus the buffet. You can go to any MDR while they are open. The one in the back is more formal (but not really), and would be more like what you would see on carnival. The MDR in the middle of deck 5 is more casual. You will see people in shorts and a tshirt dining (same menus). I would equate NCL to more like an AI resort on land. As far as the open bar on sky, you walk up order a drink and they hand it to you. They have a drink of the day each day but they offer so many choices included in the open bar. For example in November my husband drank mostly Gentleman Jack on the rocks while I had mudslides or cosmos. There is a thread that shows one of the drink menus.

There will be a Norwegians Night Out (formal or not night) but not sure what day it will be. We sail shortly, I can let you know what night that is. You can still have a formal night, you won't be the only one. :)

Your Vacation Planner needs to be educated about NCL.

There are no formal nights, and the Dress up or Not, Norwegians Night out is purely optional. Jackets and/or ties are NEVER required on any NCL ship.

Although slacks must be worn in the dressier aft dining room, that is not the case in the other dining room where shorts are allowed always.